Coaches How to get into straps.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

eucoach

Coach
Judge
So I've always assumed that there's only one proper way to get into straps (on strap bars) for regular grip. Which is to put the hand in fowards, then twist it inwards to grab the bar. However, I've seen a couple of training vids on youtube with gymnasts putting their hands into the straps from the back. Which looks like much less of a hassle but also a little less safe? Any opinions on that? and which one do you use with your gymnasts?

I was wondering the same thing when I saw this Whitney's new video yesterday: (She's working on strap bar at 11.00 minutes)

We only use straps by the way you described first.

I have to admit that's the video that made we wonder as well. ;-)

I've found lots more on youtube after paying attention to it.

I'm tempted to try with my gymnasts because it looks like getting into them is much easier - however I feel like it might be less safe with small hands?

We use both ways, depending on what straps we have available. The classic way of putting your hand in forward and then twisting it around is what we use when we have the bigger straps (preferred), but we use the way of putting the hand in backwards if we can only find our smaller straps. I feel like they're equally safe if you use the correct straps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back