WAG Early signs of plantar fasciitis... How to prevent from getting worse

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rsm

Proud Parent
DD has complained for the last week or so about symptoms that seem to be associated with plantar fasciitis. "Complained" is a strong word, but she is pretty hardy, so when she talks about pain, I listen. She is 10 and training level 8 and has been doing more back tucks on the low and high beam everyday. At first they would hurt her heel, but now not as much. Her symptoms seem pretty mild right now, but I want to try to make sure it doesn't get worse and hopefully the pain will go away completely. What should we be doing?

I agree. Supportive shoes at all time, even in the house. I had this after I had my kids, and the only way it healed was good shoe support. Our girls are called out by the coaches if they are seen in flipflops or sandals coming to the gym. For the most part, except with swimming, church etc., they want them in athletic shoes. Hope she feels better. If it feels worse when she gets up in the morning or when she gets up from an extending period of sitting, it is likely plantar fascitis

Reactions: sce
Right now it only hurts when she gets up the morning and then goes away. Hoping it doesn't get worse. She doesn't have a good pair of supportive shoes so we'll make that a number one priority this weekend. Should she get heel cups or something for gym even though it's not hurting there right now?

Reactions: sce
Right now it only hurts when she gets up the morning and then goes away. Hoping it doesn't get worse. She doesn't have a good pair of supportive shoes so we'll make that a number one priority this weekend. Should she get heel cups or something for gym even though it's not hurting there right now?

THis is how mine was at first. Stretching is good. ALso, freeze a water bottle and then roll the heel on it.

My son wore heel cups when his flared up.

We recently had DD to a physical therapist after an initial diagnosis of Sever's. The PT actually said that he thinks she has plantar fasciitis and likely not Sever's. We had one visit with him and it was wonderful! DD was given an assignment ages to complete every morning... She has to do 30 calf raises, and then 10-15 toe pulls with her toes only (hard to describe but a flat towel, she grabs and pulls with toes only until she has the whole towel pulled over). She then must roll her foot with a roller, frozen Gatorade bottle, or tennis ball before each practice. He also demonstrated a massage technique to do with the non-knife end of a butter knife. He showed me the lumps in her feet and how to help massage them out.

I'd recommend a visit to a visit to a PT ... Super helpful for us. Found out DD has really flat feet I had never otherwise noticed, too! Lol

Get an inexpensive pair of tennis shoes and have her sleep in them - is forces the feet to remain somewhat flexed so that the muscles don't constrict as much during the night. That can eliminate the morning pain. My DD is not good about keeping her calves and hamstrings stretched out, so when her heel start to hurt I make her stretch them a lot, then I massage them. For myself, I use athletic tape on the bottom of my feet to help with the pain - it's the only thing that helps get the inflammation under control when mine flares badly. Good luck to her, I hope these or some of the other ones posted can get her out of pain!

Poor kid! I battle this (I'm a fake runner) and it's wretched...the best advice I got was from a physician I know that said to never go barefoot. Easier said than done for a gymmie, but I'd say the less barefoot, the better. I bought these ugly slipper like Crocs that I wear around the house (and even uglier Danscos for work) but it has really helped. That and a lacrosse ball, frozen or not. Mine comes and goes...good luck!!! PT is a great idea too to learn some stretches...

I had plantar fasciitis and the only solution was CROCS. it was honestly the most painful thing I've ever experienced! I literally could not put my bare foot on the floor!

My dd had severs, which is very similar to plantar fasciitis. She saw an orthopedic who diagnosed her. She did lots of icing, and exercises. She also wore tennis shoes with inserts to tumble in until it passed.

It passed within a few weeks!

Best of luck!!

Dancer DD has Plantar fasciitis, gymmie DD has severs. What helps dancer DD when her PF acts up is her sleeping "boot" as well as rolling with a frozen golf ball and yes, supportive shoes. Anti inflammatories and ice as needed!

Try the xbrace. It's good for both severs and plantar fasciitis.
It seemed to really help my gymmie.....she still has pain from a lot of tumbling and vault especially, but it's manageable. Some days it barely hurts now.

And what everyone else said....stretching, shoes.......I took DD to ortho and he took one look at her converse.....NO.

[QUOTE="Mrs. Puma, post:. I bought these ugly slipper like Crocs that I wear around the house (and even uglier Danscos for work) but it has really helped. ...[/QUOTE]
Hey now...I love the danscos....perhaps I am a super nerd, but they have so many cool ones, and they have saved my feet!:D

[QUOTE="Mrs. Puma, post:. I bought these ugly slipper like Crocs that I wear around the house (and even uglier Danscos for work) but it has really helped. ...
Hey now...I love the danscos....perhaps I am a super nerd, but they have so many cool ones, and they have saved my feet!:D[/QUOTE]
Oh, they have definitely saved my feet, but I think they are so ugly! Maybe because I'm 5'7" as it is, and I don't mind being taller if I'm rocking sassy pumps, but to be an Amazon with size 10 boats?! Blahhh...but again, they are totally worth it! Like I tell my very fashion conscience ten year old-if Mommy wears ugly shoes, Mommy can run. Which means Mommy can eat a little naughtier than she should, which means Mommy is happy. Ugly shoes=Happy. Lol!! :)

Get an inexpensive pair of tennis shoes and have her sleep in them - is forces the feet to remain somewhat flexed so that the muscles don't constrict as much during the night. That can eliminate the morning pain. My DD is not good about keeping her calves and hamstrings stretched out, so when her heel start to hurt I make her stretch them a lot, then I massage them. For myself, I use athletic tape on the bottom of my feet to help with the pain - it's the only thing that helps get the inflammation under control when mine flares badly. Good luck to her, I hope these or some of the other ones posted can get her out of pain!

Do you think sleeping in something like cheetah heel cups will have the same effect as tennis shoes? If it's to keep the foot flexed, I'll see if it does the trick. I don't mind getting the shoes, but I ordered the heel cups anyway, just in case.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will definitely be looking into these exercises. If there's still even a little pain next week, we'll schedule a visit to the PT. And in case you're wondering, I win the Mom of the year award for letting her go to school in pretty sandals today for a school show :eek:. But at least I sent in a change of shoes and reminded her 5 times to change right after the show :)

I am a size 10 also. I live for the danscos....I truly must be a super nerd because I find them quite stylish. Bahahaa!

I tried them... And my feet have never had so much pain!!! I had to get different shoes and $100 down the drain... And I found them ugly too... Lol... I don't know what the deal was but they KILLED my feet....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back