Parents Which doctor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It was a bowing fracture of the right radius. The ortho is at a pediatric sports clinic, as is her pt. DD refuses to do even one single round off on floor and has even scaled back her skills on tumble trak- doing RO-BP and RO-BLO instead of BHSs. I think she needs more time.

Dd's wasn't fractured. She hasn't vaulted yet, maybe will throw one or two starting next week. Hasn't done her series on the beam yet-did work it on the floor. Instead of ro-bhs-full, she is just doing a ro-full. Bars aren't as much of an issue, still hasn't tried her free hip-handstand, maybe next week as well!

My point is, that dd's injury wasn't as bad as your dd and it has taken 3 weeks. I think you are 100% correct in saying it's just going to take more time to heal!

And, let's be honest, our gymmies aren't the best at being patient! I know mine was chomping at the bit!

Encourage continued PT and more rest! Best of luck to your dd!

Our experience was that the pediatric ortho wasn't helpful. Pea had nagging knee and hip pain. XRay said no broken bones etc so he said '4-6 weeks of rest.' Pea was horrified :eek: We followed up with a PT who happened to be a former gymnast (college.) She was the most helpful, she understood gym language and easily communicated with Pea about when and where it was hurting. After our initial work up she had isolated that because of Pea's toeing out her tush muscle was weak, she was overcompensating using her inner thigh to carry the weight on that side. It was very interesting to watch her demonstrate and was crystal clear why her knee was bothering her! She saw Pea for a few weeks, gave her daily exercises, even talked to her coach. Definitely more helpful then 'rest' in our case!

Our experience was that the pediatric ortho wasn't helpful. Pea had nagging knee and hip pain. XRay said no broken bones etc so he said '4-6 weeks of rest.' Pea was horrified :eek: We followed up with a PT who happened to be a former gymnast (college.) She was the most helpful, she understood gym language and easily communicated with Pea about when and where it was hurting. After our initial work up she had isolated that because of Pea's toeing out her tush muscle was weak, she was overcompensating using her inner thigh to carry the weight on that side. It was very interesting to watch her demonstrate and was crystal clear why her knee was bothering her! She saw Pea for a few weeks, gave her daily exercises, even talked to her coach. Definitely more helpful then 'rest' in our case!

Yes! I think you really need someone that is knowledgeable of the sport! We are very lucky to have a terrific sports ortho who understands that a gymnast doesn't simply "rest" for X amount of time. They have to work around said injury and stay strong in all other areas so they are able to come back not so far behind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back