WAG Norcal gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yuenling

Proud Parent
my SoCal friend is moving to NorCal, and there are so many gyms to start with. We counted 10 gyms within a 30 minute drive of Palo Alto. Any suggestions?

Her daughter is my DD's team sister and she just finished her level 5 season last fall and is 11 right now

Reactions: sce
The CSCs (there are a few) generally do pretty well and have girls who are good sports and competitors. They are all over the San Jose area. There is also West Valley, which seems decent. I think the high power gyms are further north and not generally commutable from Palo Alto. If you list some of the gyms that are closest to where they are moving I can give you any impressions we've had over the past few years. There are definitely people on here in the South Bay, so maybe they will chime in if some gym names are tossed out. As you've noticed there are a TON of gyms in the Bay Area. It's almost too many, especially to try and sort them all.

ETA: it depends on what their idea of commutable is, I guess. Didn't really think about that. Also, depends on what their daughter's goal is in the sport- looking for fun and growth, or elite, or college, or the Olympics?

I'd guess the best- objectively- in the peninsula is San Mateo.

Last edited:
San Mateo is definitely the current best gym for high level gymnastics.. many of their younger girls are on the elite tracks and they've been sending many to top tier colleges. I believe that their top tier girls are home schooled and many switched gym/commute to train there.

Airborne is another strong program which has lost some of its success when coaches left for cal. Still some strong gymnasts

Head over heels also has a handful of high level gymnasts and as mentioned above, west valley is very strong.

If you're interested purely in competitive results, this is a good place to look: http://www.norcalgym.org/results/team_point_talley_2015-16.htm.

Nor-cal does a Perpetual Trophy based on team placements (levels 4-10) at State Championships. Historically, Airborne always won. Last year, Airborne and San Mateo tied. This year in was San Mateo.

But, a lot of this is going to depend on how many hours she wants to go, her goals, and the logistics of the commute (traffic is awful!).

my SoCal friend is moving to NorCal, and there are so many gyms to start with. We counted 10 gyms within a 30 minute drive of Palo Alto. Any suggestions?
Will she be living in or near Palo Alto? Traffic is tough here, so not all those gyms will be a 30 minute drive. What is your friend looking for as far a as gym? ie high levels? Competition but less hours/pressure?

In order of distance from Palo Alto:
Menlo Park - lower hours gym but allows for kids to have other activities and stay in the sport. Only a few optionals at this time.

Gold Star - big compulsory team team, older crowded facility. Have optionals though level 10 and Xcel.

Twister's - also has Xcel and JO, have had optionals through level 10, not sure what they have currently. Last I saw they didn't have a pit but had plans to dig one.

Bayshore Elite - Have had a few higher optionals, pretty big compulsory program, also have Xcel.

Coming from Palo Alto, anything else would be much more than 1/2 hour in the afternoon/evening. Highest performing gyms (but also high pressure/hours) are Airborne, San Mateo, West Valley (home of Amy Chow.)

PM if you have specific questions about the area or these gyms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back