WAG Anyone who knows back problems-Spondy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine has never been super flexible, not in her back, not in her shoulders or hips. We were told that her biggest issue is her shoulders flexibility. But no amount of stretching seems to be helping with the back pain. As bog said, either your body is built for this, or it's not.

Has your DD actually been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis? There are many causes of backpain in gymnasts including disc-related injuries...

Has your DD actually been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis? There are many causes of backpain in gymnasts including disc-related injuries...

No, thankfully we didn't get that far. She had spondylolysis, and then recurring stress reaction. She's been out of gym for two months now, but the pain still won't go away completely.

I'm terribly sorry Irene! That's so frustrating......I hope she heals soon.
My daughter is hyper mobile in the back And shoulders. I have told her under no uncertain terms to limit backwalkovers, and to stretch those hamstrings. Any pain, she must tell me.

I will take her in to get checked however. I'd rather be a bit overly careful, that not. She must have her body for the rest of her life, not only for gymnastics....

My daughter had spondoloysis years ago (6 I think). Somehow, knock on wood, she came through it and hasn't had an issue since then. I always tell people to check out back pain, though, because if there is a problem and it's caught early enough, perhaps that will save them from further problems later.

Ok, so a teammate has some serious back issues....definitely thesis.....and possibly already some nerve pinching that will get worse with age, (as everything does).
The kid wants to stay in the gym somehow and possibly just seriously modify what she can do, or perhaps try trampoline? Anyone with back issues or knowledge, what is your advice?

Hi,

I have a bit of experience with spondy. A year and a half ago I had bilateral spondy in my L3 vertebrae. Unlike your friend however, I had no disk slippage so our situations are obviously different. I was devastated when this happened to me and my parents thought that I would never go back to gymnastics, tramp or any sort of gymnastics discipline. At first I couldn't stand up, I was completely bent in half. I took 5 months off with no physical activity at all. I came back to the gym determined to compete again. It was a long process back and it set me back a year. Your friend has to want to come back, and want to work from the ground up. I was really happy after my comeback and I'm even doing skills like scorpions that put pressure on the lower back.

My experience coming back has been rewarding, but your friend will have to work very hard. If she wants to try other sports I suggest synchro swimming. A lot of ex gymnast in Ukraine go to the olympics in synchro. They already have the flexibility.

Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back