Parents Gym break ups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are in the process of switching gyms and I am wondering how people usually inform the gym management of a departure. I have no problem telling DD's coaches that we are moving on, but we have very little contact with the owners and generally try to avoid them as much as possible (I find them very unpleasant and often defensive). I am inclined to just email the font desk to stop our tuition (yes, they have my CC on file) and call it a day.

We are in the process of switching gyms and I am wondering how people usually inform the gym management of a departure. I have no problem telling DD's coaches that we are moving on, but we have very little contact with the owners and generally try to avoid them as much as possible (I find them very unpleasant and often defensive). I am inclined to just email the font desk to stop our tuition (yes, they have my CC on file) and call it a day.

That is very reasonable and personally what I would do. When we switched last I went on and talked to coaches, thanked them for all they have done, explained the situation.....went very well, they were very supportive. Then I notified office staff of departure and called it a day. Since I hadn't ever spoken to owner more than 5 min total in the entire time that I was there I didn't feel the need to get into a personal conversation with them.

This sounds like we just did at the beginning of may! It was a mess. One coach had been with Lil bit for 3 years. It was hard and I don't do change well.... Gym management I was glad to walk away from. Although the main reason we left to make our lives easier next school year (even though the gym is further away) it was still drama. BUT since at the new gym I have never seen my daughter more challenged, more supported, and HAPPIER!! But since we have gone many compulsory girls have left and the Head coach left and now what was left of the optionals are scrambling to find new gyms or see if the gym can pull it together and get a new optionals coach... I was kinda glad we left when we did and we didnt seem like a follower HAHAHA

We emailed. It wasn't a pleasant leave because many left at one time but I had already tried speaking with the owner about a safety issue. She completely turned my words around and made it about something completely different than it was. We knew before that it was time to go, but it was that moment that cinched it. I sent an email, very pleasant, thanking them and encouraging the team. They didn't respond so it took my husband going by to be sure they did receive the email and stopped charging our credit card. Why does it have to be so hard??

We have been at our gym since 2012 and we literally have NEVER had a girl switch gyms! We have had a few girls join us from other local gyms for various reasons. If our girls leave, they either quit (and the ones who quit still visit every month or so) or move out of state! I really, really feel so very blessed!

Well I NEVER gave a gym my credit card # so there was no charging it to my credit card baloney...I either paid by cash or check, period...and any gym contract I signed I always crossed out anything with a reference to giving notice and said "if that's a deal-breaker then we'll go somewhere else" and it was never an issue...I wasn't signing anything binding me to pay $1000 a month if I was unhappy with what was happening or some disaster happened and we couldn't continue....

Our old gym had us sign a yearly contract ..... in June......bad news and part of the reason we left. I've never had a good experience when leaving gyms. Some people are nice and I've stayed friends, other's delete you on FB. It's a shame really. I know that a lot of people become emotionally invested, but I tried to explain it's a business decision. We are ultimately paying for a service, and if you are unhappy with the service, or think it is overpriced, you have a right as a consumer to buy your service elsewhere.....end of discussion. Some owner's think you as a consumer owe them loyalty.....but they forget it's a business and the loyalty should be to the customer.

Glad to read this thread :) We are also thinking about switching.

Unfortunately/fortunately for us it will involve a complete relocation. DD needs a HPC and there are only a few in the country.

We have tried to work with the current gym owners- we love the coaches, DD is doing well. But the issues are big enough that if they're not fixed we are sacrificing too much financially to stay.

Our old gym had us sign a yearly contract ..... in June......bad news and part of the reason we left. I've never had a good experience when leaving gyms. Some people are nice and I've stayed friends, other's delete you on FB. It's a shame really. I know that a lot of people become emotionally invested, but I tried to explain it's a business decision. We are ultimately paying for a service, and if you are unhappy with the service, or think it is overpriced, you have a right as a consumer to buy your service elsewhere.....end of discussion. Some owner's think you as a consumer owe them loyalty.....but they forget it's a business and the loyalty should be to the customer.

Previous gym had us in a contract. This is what I've learned since then. There are 2 other very good gyms in this area, neither have contracts. We are now at 1 of these gyms and have had an extremely happy transition!! We completely trust their decision for our dd. It has been a completely drama-free year. I spoke to owner of other very good gym in the area, who basically said, "if you have to sign a contract with a gym, you have to wonder why they would NEED a contract", um yes, that explains everything about old gym. They would make big promises of who new coaches would be, schedules, etc. then tell you if you didn't sign contract by x date, your dd would lose their spot on that level. It was very pushy and would make you feel that there wasn't a choice. They bad mouthed both the other gyms in the area. They would say that our new gym made the girls repeat constantly and that's why they scored so well and that the coaches were terribly mean, yelling & berating to the girls. What a shame that they can outright lie about other gyms like that. I was so scared to switch my dd because of what they told me & I can definitely say it was all lies. Interestingly enough, old gym made girls repeat all the time!! Actually, owner tried to have my dd repeat when she was in the top 3 scorers on her team, soooo what does that say about them??

And I do agree with bookworm about not leaving a credit card for monthly charges, that was not smart for us.

Glad to read this thread :) We are also thinking about switching.

Unfortunately/fortunately for us it will involve a complete relocation. DD needs a HPC and there are only a few in the country.

We have tried to work with the current gym owners- we love the coaches, DD is doing well. But the issues are big enough that if they're not fixed we are sacrificing too much financially to stay.
Please forgive my American ignorance....what's a hpc?

Previous gym had us in a contract. This is what I've learned since then. There are 2 other very good gyms in this area, neither have contracts. We are now at 1 of these gyms and have had an extremely happy transition!! We completely trust their decision for our dd. It has been a completely drama-free year. I spoke to owner of other very good gym in the area, who basically said, "if you have to sign a contract with a gym, you have to wonder why they would NEED a contract", um yes, that explains everything about old gym. They would make big promises of who new coaches would be, schedules, etc. then tell you if you didn't sign contract by x date, your dd would lose their spot on that level. It was very pushy and would make you feel that there wasn't a choice. They bad mouthed both the other gyms in the area. They would say that our new gym made the girls repeat constantly and that's why they scored so well and that the coaches were terribly mean, yelling & berating to the girls. What a shame that they can outright lie about other gyms like that. I was so scared to switch my dd because of what they told me & I can definitely say it was all lies. Interestingly enough, old gym made girls repeat all the time!! Actually, owner tried to have my dd repeat when she was in the top 3 scorers on her team, soooo what does that say about them??

And I do agree with bookworm about not leaving a credit card for monthly charges, that was not smart for us.
Sounds like we came from the same "old" gym lol o_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back