WAG Questions about Level 5 bar and beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for all your advice.

Van2, I thought that bar routine was awesome!

Just wondering if it helps to hold the handstand longer then 2 seconds in level 5.

Helps as in extra credit? Nope. Helps as in aiming for 3 seconds means a gymnast who might rush a bit due to meet nerves still hits 2 seconds or helps if a judge is just a bit off in their timing? Yep. As a judge, I do count to time the handstands on beam. Holds that are clearly 2 seconds (because they're a bit longer) or handstands with no hold are the easiest as they eliminate the possibility of me being a touch off and taking 0.05 too much or too little (shh, don't tell, but judges aren't perfect). The majority of gymnasts I see get deductions for insufficient hold on at least one of the two handstands.

I just reread that thread and I think
Just wondering if it helps to hold the handstand longer then 2 seconds in level 5.

Was referring to OP:
"OH! if I got my handstand on the end of the beam all the way to vertical, and held it for 2 seconds, like I know I can, I would've been in first all by myself!" She is curious about how big of a hit she took on her score for that.

Initially I thought MomIdidit! was referring to the bar routine:
I'm often lost in the terminology but I understood that to mean holding the vertical (or almost vertical) on the bar routine.
Okay, maybe I'm the only one confused. :confused::oops:

The part after the kip is called a "cast"
Thanks, I'm going to try to remember that.

I agree with what the other ppl are saying here. Bars has been my girl's best event ever since lvl 3. Then level 5 came along...and the fear of the flyaway. The only meet she competed where (she didn't scratch bars) she scored a 8.1. We were told her score was ruined because of the tap swings and dismount.

She was good for 9.5s in lvl 3, 9.3s in lvl 4...then a huge crash in lvl 5.

This is what 8.1 looks like....and many girls on her team didn't even break an 8.0 most of the season. Brutal!

Agree the score seems brutal. The low bar part was gorgeous!!!!!
And yes, while there were some clear deductions on the high bar section, I have no doubt this girl will have a very strong routine here soon!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back