MAG Meet day food

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

SPX

Proud Parent
Ds has an incredibly fast metabolism. We discovered at his first real meet last weekend that we need a better plan for meet day food, especially if he is going to survive 6 hours between check-in and the end of the awards. He is not very picky but does have an issue with this that have a squishy or slimy texture. So eggs are out, but they would not hold him anyway. He really needs meat at breakfast. The hotel breakfast didn't last him half an hour. Fortunately we had a steak sandwich left from dinner the night before that he munched on. He had half a dozen Granola and protein bars and devoured them all. He was really hungry by the end of the awards though. Any ideas for meet friendly snacks that will keep him going? Thoughts for breakfast before hand?

I do agree that he needs protein and fat beforehand. Protein bars are great during. Maybe also pack fruit, apple slices, grapes etc. Along with water you could pack clear Gatorade, to get him some electrolytes.

No matter what my kids are always really hungry afterwards.

Before the meet, there's no reason your son has to have traditional breakfast food. I'd let him have whatever protein you can get in him. Maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a hamburger. Snacks during the meet might include trail mix, cheese sticks, or beef jerky to keep him full.

Reactions: sce
A filling pb&j smoothie (frozen fruit, 1/4 avocado (or evoo), pb, yogurt, protein powder, honey/sugar), plus a bagel or bread for breakfast. BLT plus fruit as long as his session isn't too early.
Would you pack a cooler bag? That would give options like cheese with fruit or kielbasa with crackers.
Jerky along with fruit
If nuts are allowed, a nut/cereal/dried fruit mix. Someone posted that they put this mix in a water bottle so kiddo can pour it into his mouth and not make a mess.
Yogurt tubes if he's not going to make a mess with it.

Jerky s something my son always likes to bring, and granola/protein bars and a bit of fruit, banana or sliced oranges. We have had issues when he was younger with my son and others on the team not eating snacks and running out of energy for the last event. Before the meet I try to get a meal with protein / fats. If it is a early morning meet I try to get him dinner the night before with enough carbs & protein.

If it is a long drive to the meet, I make sure he eats something like a sandwich before he starts not before the drive.

D also takes a mix of protein/fruit. The squeeze applesauces, jerky, trail mix, blueberries, granola bars. He does not eat as much as he did when he was younger but we still make sure there is enough in there should he need it.

My younger son went through a period where he would not eat any kind of breakfast food. He ate dinner leftovers for breakfast.
At a hotel, if there is a fridge, (or you can bring a good enough cooler) maybe bring have some lunch meat and bread (if he likes sandwiches.) We always bring sandwiches in the car to eat on the way if it is a longer drive.

For during meet, beef or turkey jerky.

My younger son went through a period where he would not eat any kind of breakfast food. He ate dinner leftovers for breakfast.
At a hotel, if there is a fridge, (or you can bring a good enough cooler) maybe bring have some lunch meat and bread (if he likes sandwiches.) We always bring sandwiches in the car to eat on the way if it is a longer drive.

For during meet, beef or turkey jerky.
For all you jerky lovers...try biltong, a dried cured meat from South Africa. Folks make it here in the States.

Experiment a little too though. Mine tend to do best with some slow-burning carbs before a meet. My daughter needs intermittent sugar during the meet to keep going (a pack of Skittles works well for her). My son eats nothing and drinks practically nothing during a meet, no matter how long he's out there. Then he wants to devour everything in sight after awards. Really, for just about any gymnast, you want to keep hands, legs, and small children or pets out of reach after a meet and plan on hitting the first available restaurant!

My son eats nothing and drinks practically nothing during a meet, no matter how long he's out there. Then he wants to devour everything in sight after awards.

This is my son too. I beg and plead for him to drink water and eat a little between rotations, but the only thing he will eat are a few little energy gummies. After the meet, though, he will plow through his snacks and then eat a full meal.

Reactions: sce
Mine is picky and almost vegetarian. Just about the only meat he will eat is chicken nuggets. We have made a stop at Chick-fil-a a meet tradition as long as it is not a Sunday session. His bag is full of pita chips, pretzels, fruit snacks. They are mostly for boredom control than hunger control.

We typically feed him a good breakfast of eggs, bacon/sausage and toast a couple hours ahead of time. About an hour till, we'll mix up a protein shake. During meets, he typically will have water, banana, and cliff bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back