1st Gymnastics Injury ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mapstangelo

My daughter has experienced her first gymnastics injury on Tuesday night. She heard her elbow pop when doing a front hand spring over a barrell on floor.

She didn't tell her coach of I until her class was over and continued to do things during class. She's only 6 so I think she was embarassed.

It was fine Tues night but swollen and bruised yesterday AM. She can bend and straighten her arm etc. There is a small bruise near her elbow and the muscle around it was swollen. It's much better now swelling is way down so we think it's just a sprain. I have her resting and using ice as needed.

No monkey bars on recess this week :)

Has anyone experienced this? Ways to prevent it from happening again or was it just a fluke?

Thanks!

Michelle

I think I would take that arm to the doctor, The popping, plus the swelling and brusing makes me think it needs further investigation. In a child being able to bend, straighten or use an injured limb doesn't mean that it isn't broken, so it is always good to check.

Accidents happen everywhere, hope she is fine. As for prevention, it's an accident and if the coach was doing eveything right, accidents still can happen.

I would also get it checked out. It sounds like just a fluke, but flukes can still lead to injury that needs treatment. Ask her if she fell on her hands or did anything to it earlier. The elbow could have already been compromised and then later the skill set it off. But if just passing through handstand and not falling caused this much swelling and bruising, I think I'd be even more inclined to get it checked out.

My 6 yr old did something similar a couple months ago. She wasn't sure exactly what made it happen & she didn't tell anyone until we were home. I took her to the dr. & the xrayed it. The doc said they try to be cautious w/ kids' elbow, especially if there is swelling, b/c kids have more small bones in their elbow than adults do. My daughter's x-ray showed a lot of fluid & a shadow on the joint. Even though, they didn't see a break, they still splinted it like one, then sent her to the orthopedic to get it checked out a week later.

Turned out not to be a break, they think it was badly hyper-extended, & splinting it was the right thing. Even though I wasn't there to see how it happened, we think it's because my DD sometimes turns her hands outward, instead of in. I don't know if your daughter does this, but it can be really tough on the elbows.

Good luck & I hope she's ok!

Thanks everyone for your replies.
It's much better this afternoon swelling almost gone :)
Took her to her dr tonight and the verdict is it's just a sprain.

He was thrilled with her range of motion and said it should be feeling better soon.

Thank goodness!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back