2011 Flip Fest

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

When does Flip Fest list their 2011 sessions and open up registration?

FlipFest

Most of the camps have everything up by December/January.

Is Bella going with her team? I really would not send her at that age unless she is going with a team. While we absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE FlipFest :D I wouldn't send a kiddo alone (to any residential gym camp) unless they are at least nine.

I agree with AMR that 6YO seems young for sleepaway camp alone. She could easily get home sick (making the experience not fun) and you have to be pretty independent as well, which not all 6 year olds are. If she really wants to go then maybe, but don't push it! I actually don't think camps even allow campers under 7 years old, although Bella may be 7 when summer rolls around? I went to my first sleep-away camp at 10 (I begged my parents to let me go, and they agreed), and I got super homesick and didnt enjoy it at all! Just my opinion though! Maybe your DD is a very mature and independent 6YO whose so ready to go a week on her own!

She will be a young 7, birthday in early May.

She is independent and has spent four days away from home without problem. Not sure how an extra two days would affect her.

I'm not pushing it at all. It will actually require some money juggling to make it happen if she sticks with it. She has been asking to go to some kind of camp since she was young enough to watch Barney.

She found out there were "gymnastics camps" while looking at a gymnastics magazine in the lobby of the gym one day. She did that little girl screechy thing (you KNOW what I'm talking about) and she did the little girl beggy thing (won't ask for anything else, will clean her room every single day, blah blah blah).

I talked to her about doing a day camp. We only live about 30 minutes from the University of Kentucky and they do a day camp that our gym advertises pretty heavily. She didn't seemed impressed. I think a big part of the appeal for her was doing the overnight thing and sleeping in a cabin on bunk beds. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to say something about sleep away camp... I went to my first sleep away camp when I was 6 years old and absolutely loved it! It was for a week and I did get a little upset one evening, but worked through it. Every year after that I went to a sleep away camp for the summer. Every child is different and some handle it better then others. I was always an independent kid. When I was two years old I was put in my first dance class. I was in a class with 3 and 4 year olds b/c they didn't have one for two year olds, but I was ready for it already.

If your daughter is ready for a sleep away camp and excited, I say to go for it! I feel like now-a-days there are too many parents saying things like, "are you sure you want to go? you might just get homesick or not have fun" to their kids. It's practically telling them to get homesick or letting them go with a negative attitude. It's better to talk it up and encourage them to meet new people. Most the time I never went to camp with anyone I knew (except for maybe my older sister, but we were always separated at camp) and I always made friends and even kept in contact with a lot of them months later. It's a great experience!

My .02 about little kids (8 and under) going to residential gym camp alone–

Let me just say that little kids going with a team have no problem. The older teammates seem to ‘mother’ the little ones and tell them what to do and when to do it J. They also have coaches that know the kids.

Most camps put the singles together in a cabin. The single older kids (9 and up) seem to do fine and usually buddy up with others since they are old enough to take care of all their basic needs and plan their day - leading to a great camp experience for them.

The little kids find themselves in a big cabin where the age ranges can be big and there are often no other single kids their age. There is one adult to 16 kids and that adult has responsibilities other than just hanging around the cabin 24/7. Kids are up at 7 and lights out is at 10:30. No one is walking them between activities or telling them what activities they should do. It's a long, tiring day even for the big kids.

With single little kids, one of the staff usually ends up taking the little one under their wing. Unfortunately, while camp should be about having new experiences and running with a pack of peers your little kid is probably hanging with friendly kitchen staff. This is not the camp experience you had planned for your kid, it's babysitting.

In my humble opinion, unless your little kid (6-8ish) is going with a group, you should find a gym camp that lets you ‘commute’. I know Cincinnati Gymnastics has a terrific day camp ‘Firecracker Camp’ that brings in some of the same gym divas and the kids have a great time. You can stay in a local hotel with her and commute to camp. If you truly want a residential camp experience for her, try a general camp with gymnastics emphasis that has a special program set up for Juniors. The counselor/kid ratio is small (1:5) and they are shepherded through their day (Camp Greystone comes to mind).

Good luck!
ann

Thanks for your personal perspective. It's nice to hear from someone who has been there and had a good experience.

I'm glad I posted this question and that the atmosphere in the Chalk Bucket is such that people feel free to share opinions. I hadn't even considered not sending her until a couple of you offered up words of caution.

Thanks for giving me stuff to think about.

Just to clarify - I think residential camp with a program for juniors (6-8) is a great thing for little kids that want to go It is my opinion that none of the big Gymnastic residential camps are really set up to have little 6-8 kids go alone. I've been to all of them.
a

My DD went to Flip Fest last year when she was 7 (an "old" 7, haha; October birthday). She did go with teammates but the kids she talked about most were the girls she met in her training group, not the teammates. She had a great time, even though I think she did get a little homesick once (she didn't say that; I guessed. She says she was fine and she only called home to ask for more money. :rolleyes:)

She didn't ask to go this summer until it was too late but she's already told me that she really wants to go next year. She is going with a few teammates to the Flip Fest Fall Adventure preparation camp in November and she's really excited about that.

Another thing to consider is that some camps (Camp Woodward and FlipFest for sure, maybe others) have some sort of program where parents of young children can attend camp at the same time and do a job. That way, the child gets to experience camp but the parents are close in the event that they do have problems. I almost did that last year with my daughter at Camp Woodward but also looked into it at FlipFest. Just another idea of a way to let her be independent and enjoy it but be close enough "just in case".

Maybe in a couple of months, I'll ask around the gym and see if anyone from Hot shots/Pre team/Level 3 might be interested in going as an informal group.

Another thing to consider is that some camps (Camp Woodward and FlipFest for sure, maybe others) have some sort of program where parents of young children can attend camp at the same time and do a job. That way, the child gets to experience camp but the parents are close in the event that they do have problems. I almost did that last year with my daughter at Camp Woodward but also looked into it at FlipFest. Just another idea of a way to let her be independent and enjoy it but be close enough "just in case".

REALLY?!?!?

Now that might be ideal. I will definitely look into that.

Yeah 2 moms from our gym went this year and stayed in the "mini" cabins(7-9 yr olds) and at Woodward west you get half off tution for the week. It is a great job and they had lots of fun(botht the parents and the girls).

REALLY?!?!?

Now that might be ideal. I will definitely look into that.

Yup! haha I'm a nurse and at Camp Woodward I could have had my dd attend for free if I volunteered for a week as the camp nurse. Other parent positions will allow you to get 50% off tuition. FlipFest is purely volunteer...no monetary assistance for volunteer, but you can volunteer and be there for your daughter. Those positions go quickly once they open them up in the early spring, but if you contact them, they will tell you the deadline or when they will allow you to start sending in your volunteer information and then they notify you once they start filling positions. Definitely a good option for younger kids!

Alexis would love to go!! She will be 8 next year.

Randy Parrish (Flip Fest Activities Director) use to own the gym that we go to. Anyways, my kids LOVE having him as a gymnastics teacher at the gym (during fall/winter). He is AWESOME!

Randy Parrish (Flip Fest Activities Director)

+1 on Randy being awesome. He is one of the driving forces behind Flip Fest being such a great time for the gymnasts. When you get your camp dvd it will become obvious why the kids love him. He seems to mesh right in with them. My girl has been to summer camp 3 years straight now. I think she is going back there in Nov. for something. No complaints from us with Flip Fest.

+1 on Randy being awesome. He is one of the driving forces behind Flip Fest being such a great time for the gymnasts. When you get your camp dvd it will become obvious why the kids love him. He seems to mesh right in with them. My girl has been to summer camp 3 years straight now. I think she is going back there in Nov. for something. No complaints from us with Flip Fest.

Boo is going in November, too. Which weekend is your DD going?

Alexis would love to go!! She will be 8 next year.

Randy Parrish (Flip Fest Activities Director) use to own the gym that we go to. Anyways, my kids LOVE having him as a gymnastics teacher at the gym (during fall/winter). He is AWESOME!

Hmm if you send Alex let me know, maybe Bella could go at the same time. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back