WAG 43 year old gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
One of the big talking points at DD's invitational this weekend was the participation of a 43 year old level 8 gymnast. Although I'm in awe at her ability to still compete, it makes me wonder about the USAG are rules. Are there no age restrictions? I want to say there's an age limit at our state meet, but haven't looked up the rules. Just curious if others have seen that before.

No there is no age cutoffs only minimum requirements. It is just rare to have an adult both competing and at a higher level, but we are out there. AAU has a ladies division, there are gyms that have adult leagues. It just isn't seen as much in usag.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

In Virginia? Which invitational? I think that is awesome, but I can't imagine doing all of those skills on my 43 yr old soccer knees. I would love to see her!

That is very cool!!

So does anyone know if USAG has age cutoffs. I thought I heard somewhere you couldn't compete USAG after 19 or something like that. I could be completely wrong. Anyone know??

No there are no cut offs for usag. Only gyms age cut offs for insurance. I know of a 44 yo competing lvl nine abd thereb is a 33 yr old lvl 7

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Wow...I had no idea there wasn't an age limit. I guess I had heard the 19 cutoff before, because that sounded familiar.

And no....I cannot imagine all that pounding on my 40+ year old knees and back. Youch! Ice-pack please!!

Good for her though!

No age cutoffs that I'm aware of, we know of a couple of women in their 20's competing level 9 and 10, and my DDs had a former teammate at L8 also in her 20's

Wow. It's so wonderful to hear about these older gymnasts...:) I wonder at what age these ladies started their training?... Talk about guts and perseverance - I'd be asking the 43 YO for her autograph if I saw her at a meet :).

Aw c'mon dunno! How old were you when you last did, like say a bhs. I can't remember the last one I made, but I'll remember the last one I tried. It was after a, shall we say, extended "lay-off" at the age of 55. I had no idea my legs had lost that much zing, and the result was mildly humorous and quite a :eek: :eek: for the kids I was trying to make a point to.

Lisa Mason has just won vault at the English championships and is competing at the British championships next week.

She's 30, retired after 2000 olympics, and decided to make a comeback after watching London.

We were at a meet earlier in the year where there was a group of adult (I'd say in their 30's maybe?) prep ops. I was in awe of their bravery... not just to practice gymnastics, but to compete... in front of people... in a leotard! They were definitely my heroes that night, though we did do a little bit of chuckling at the "age 13-and-up" category...

I know of a lady from Maryland who is competing at around level 8, it's very possible that's who you saw this weekend. She was a very good gymnast as a teen and came back as an adult to give it another shot, including some breaks to have children I believe. This is an article about her, not sure if it's the same one mentioned upthread. Pretty cool if there is another one competing with her.
Oldest Gymnast Competing in Maryland USA Gymnastics Celebrates a Birthday
There are some videos on Gymnastike too if you just search for her name, as well as a section on adult gym with some videos and interviews with other adult competitors.

OMG she competed at The Flip for the Fight this weekend, where we were. Man if I knew, I would have loved to have seen her. She competed Level 9 and just did floor and beam. Not bad either, mid 8 s on both. But speaking of my old soccer knees, look at the brace in that picture. Maybe we will meet up going in for our knee replacement surgeries. LOL

Aw c'mon dunno! How old were you when you last did, like say a bhs. I can't remember the last one I made, but I'll remember the last one I tried. It was after a, shall we say, extended "lay-off" at the age of 55. I had no idea my legs had lost that much zing, and the result was mildly humorous and quite a :eek: :eek: for the kids I was trying to make a point to.

I remember the last backhandspring I tried... aroung age 37? or so. My back hurt for several days after. It was strange- I still had all the correct muscle memory, just had lost the strength and flexibility, especially in extension of the spine. Won't be trying that again. Even more reason why Oksana Chusovitina is my hero!

The lady in Maryland was at our invitational in March. Our girls were SO excited to see her! My little DD was doing gymnast check-in and tried to tell her "parents don't need to check in".

I've got some admiration for anyone who can do that at this age- she's a Level 9!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back