5 Year Old with Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Have a pretty basic question. Can I tape up DDs hand some to help prevent rips. Will it get in the way of the rest of her practice?The gym is getting hotter, and she came home with her first rips. I know it is part of the sport and she needs to learn to deal with it, but she is 5 and that sort of injury is upsetting to her. (This is a kid who thinks she needs bandaids for a mosquito bite). Her hours will be increasing over the summer from 6 to 9, and they will be working even more advanced skills on bars in her new group. She's a tough kid. She'll let the coaches push on her in stretching without complaint, she'll do any type of conditioning without complaining, but see a little blood or a blister (on herself or someone else) really gets her upset. Honestly, at this young age, I could see her not wanting to do gymnastics anymore if she has to deal with rips every time she does gymnastics. The skills are getting harder, they are working on front hip circles, tons of kip drills etc. If I can prevent them in some way, I would like to. Any advice is appreciated. It seems perhaps to be related to the hot weather and sweating hands. I'm not sure if they are encouraged to use chalk, as I hardly ever see practice. Thanks for any advice

When we have a younger one, who doesn't need real grips yet, but has particularly sensitive hands and rips easily, we make them some tape grips to wear. And these can be worn for the rest of practice if they have a particularly raw spot that hurts them. You could buy some athletic tape and ask her coach if they would do this. I know it is common to tell gymnasts that rips are "part of the sport" and that they need to toughen up their hands, but I can't imagine any gym being intense enough to have this attitude with a 5 year olds. 5 year olds should be learning that gymnastics is fun and amazing, not painful.

DD's coach has said she can tape her hands for meets or practice if she needs it. They actually have tape at the gym they can apply. She had some pretty bad rips (from the monkey bars at school) just before one of her meets and I asked about it. She said it would feel a little different, but she would get used to it. Of course DD said she didn't need it for the meet and did just fine without it. She also said airing it out as much as possible and neosporin which also helped a good bit. They also have the girls use chalk at the our gym if their palms are sweaty. I imagine it would be the same at most other gyms.

tape grips. preparation H cream or bag balm on the rips. I don't know of a really effective way to prevent them.

I have a younger gymnast who is working level 6 without girps and she has been ripping a lot. She doesn't mind and doesn't complain, but with regards to tape grips, for her they make it slippery. She does not like to put any tape on her hands. She had 2 particularly large, bloody rips one day and her coach put tape grips on her and that hand kept slipping off the bar.

sometimes making sure kids limit swimming in the summer before practices helps with rips. Making a tape grip should not be an issue, if it makes her feel better. She will get sick of it on her own I am sure and all will just move on....

call Mike at US Glove. he'll ask you to measure her hands with a cloth tape measure. he will make her the perfect grip for her hand size. it will be thin and narrow but sturdy leather. you won't be dissatisfied. :)

call Mike at US Glove. he'll ask you to measure her hands with a cloth tape measure. he will make her the perfect grip for her hand size. it will be thin and narrow but sturdy leather. you won't be dissatisfied. :)

This is extremely useful! Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back