WAG A Final Salute

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kandkfunk

Proud Parent
My DD’s 12-year journey is coming to an end. This sport has taught and given her so much and we are so thankful for the ride. Through many highs and lows, she would not be the person she is today without gymnastics. For the rest of her life, she will cherish her memories of meets, travels, friends and teammates.

It has not always been a smooth or graceful journey, but she overcame and conquered so much. From a coach telling her she would never progress past (old) level 5 (she didn’t have the right body type), to winning multiple state championships at level 5 and level 6 and reaching level 8. She has lived through her fair share of gym drama, coaching changes, a gym closure and early life lessons. One of the biggest lessons learned is to not let other people limit your potential or tell you that you ‘can’t’ do something. You have to work hard to achieve your goals and be willing to push through exhaustion, pain and setbacks. When your friends and siblings are taking breaks from their sports and activities, you still have to power through hours of conditioning and training for skills that most kids would never even attempt. All to put yourself out there to be judged and told how far from perfect you are in this sport. But, you love every minute of it. It’s in your blood, sweat and tears.
I recently saw the following quote from my favorite positive coaching mentors: ‘Parents…Hard physical work has a way of eliminating excuses and making you humble. Don’t allow your kids to go through adolescence without experiencing many calloused hands (Proactive Coaching)’. I think gymnasts have this pretty well covered. My DD has the most callused hands of any kid I know and she takes great pride in what those calluses represent.
I am beyond proud of everything my DD has accomplished and learned. It is heartbreaking when your body says it’s time to be done, but your heart isn’t ready to give up. I hear there is life after gymnastics and I’m really looking forward to spending more time with my DD and seeing what the future holds for her. Whatever it is, I know it will be bright. We only have two short years before she heads off to college. Here is to making the most of that time without gymnastics.
Best wishes to all of our fellow Chalkbucket families and gymnasts in your personal journey. And to all the coaches, gym owners and judges out there, here is a great big thank you from a gym mom and lover of the sport. Your hard work and efforts allow our children to follow their passion.

Oh my, this is very sweet, hugely encouraging and so very thought-provoking. We (yes, I said "we") have just begun our gymnastics journey and I appreciate hearing your beautiful perspective from being at the other end of the road.

Congratulations to your daughter for all of her accomplishments and to you for having the strength and determination to see her through them. Best wishes on your new journeys together!

I am an ex gym parent relatively recently dd is coaching and working (older girl)
She is SO much a better person from the life lessons learned from gym. Empathy, team work, self discipline, etc etc.
It's hard as a parent adjusting your mindset! I still love watching gymnastics still as does dd. It's an odd change!

So eloquently written! I can only imagine that you both will be finding your way during this transition phase! Here's to spending more time with your DD these next few years! Please stick around because we can all learn a thing or two from your journey!!

Thank you for giving us that are still on the journey such an eloquent and moving message. I know I will be sad when my daughter's journey comes to an end but your post confirms for me that it is a journey well worth taking, no matter how long or far it is.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words. I will definitely stick around here. I love the sport and am studying to take the compulsory judging test later this year. It's a perfect way to stay involved and have something to do when the nest is empty.

My DD will be moving over to high school cheer (gasp). It's the first school related activity she's ever participated in so she's really excited. I think she'll also do some coaching and possibly take the judging exam with me. I'm sure it won't take long for all of us to adjust.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words. I will definitely stick around here. I love the sport and am studying to take the compulsory judging test later this year. It's a perfect way to stay involved and have something to do when the nest is empty.

My DD will be moving over to high school cheer (gasp). It's the first school related activity she's ever participated in so she's really excited. I think she'll also do some coaching and possibly take the judging exam with me. I'm sure it won't take long for all of us to adjust.

excellent! then you'll be around when i continue to slam the judges. LOL. :)

My DD’s 12-year journey is coming to an end. This sport has taught and given her so much and we are so thankful for the ride. Through many highs and lows, she would not be the person she is today without gymnastics. For the rest of her life, she will cherish her memories of meets, travels, friends and teammates.

It has not always been a smooth or graceful journey, but she overcame and conquered so much. From a coach telling her she would never progress past (old) level 5 (she didn’t have the right body type), to winning multiple state championships at level 5 and level 6 and reaching level 8. She has lived through her fair share of gym drama, coaching changes, a gym closure and early life lessons. One of the biggest lessons learned is to not let other people limit your potential or tell you that you ‘can’t’ do something. You have to work hard to achieve your goals and be willing to push through exhaustion, pain and setbacks. When your friends and siblings are taking breaks from their sports and activities, you still have to power through hours of conditioning and training for skills that most kids would never even attempt. All to put yourself out there to be judged and told how far from perfect you are in this sport. But, you love every minute of it. It’s in your blood, sweat and tears.
I recently saw the following quote from my favorite positive coaching mentors: ‘Parents…Hard physical work has a way of eliminating excuses and making you humble. Don’t allow your kids to go through adolescence without experiencing many calloused hands (Proactive Coaching)’. I think gymnasts have this pretty well covered. My DD has the most callused hands of any kid I know and she takes great pride in what those calluses represent.
I am beyond proud of everything my DD has accomplished and learned. It is heartbreaking when your body says it’s time to be done, but your heart isn’t ready to give up. I hear there is life after gymnastics and I’m really looking forward to spending more time with my DD and seeing what the future holds for her. Whatever it is, I know it will be bright. We only have two short years before she heads off to college. Here is to making the most of that time without gymnastics.
Best wishes to all of our fellow Chalkbucket families and gymnasts in your personal journey. And to all the coaches, gym owners and judges out there, here is a great big thank you from a gym mom and lover of the sport. Your hard work and efforts allow our children to follow their passion.

Thanks so much for the sentiment. The sentiments, values, and well earned rewards are a huge reason for many of us to keep trying our best for the kids. We coaches live to work with kids that can appreciate the experience for what it is, a challenge and a chance to chase a dream.

The only things that change from this point are the dream and the people she'll meet. I wish her well.

PS. I think, from your description, she'll be a fine coach and a joy to mentor.

I know first hand how hard it is too not want it too be over, but at the same time knowing you cannot continue. Let her know that it gets easier and easier, and if she feels like she is missing something without it, it will be all right. Encourage her to stay involved if she wants too, through coaching or judging or just being a supportive fan. However, if she finds it hard to be there without doing, it is okay to back off and not need to have it part of her life right now.

I found joy through coaching, but I know others who had to remove themselves entirely or they just couldn't deal with it.

Get her to stay in touch with her friends and coaches, it gives something to hold onto and remember. When you can talk and say "Remember that time we..." Coaches and friends were needed for support in the gym, but now also outside of the gym. If her friends are still competing try to find one meet a season to go and cheer them on.

I am sure she will move onto be a bright intelligent young lady who will succeed and persevere through anything she needs. And has learned to stop and smell the flowers (or the sweaty gym) because good things don't always last forever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back