WAG A little help for anyone on the verge of being a CGM!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Love this!! My DD won't allow me to say one word to her about gymnastics (unless I'm bragging on her) and I'm good with that! I made the mistake of asking her questions about how things are supposed to look (because I truly didn't & don't always know). She took it as critiquing her performance, so she said "no talking about gymnastics, Mom". My 6 year old won't allow me to be CGM! Lol. Plus, I think she's way harder on herself than anyone else could ever be, so it's better just not to talk about it at all.

Sometimes I think we are all very lucky that I didn't know a blessed thing about gymnastics when DD was invited to be on preteam. Likewise with soccer and my eldest. I would have been an awful equestrian mom! For the first few years, it was all just, "wow, my kid can do cool flippy things! My kid can make the ball go in the goal!"

A great read!

Sometimes I think we are all very lucky that I didn't know a blessed thing about gymnastics when DD was invited to be on preteam. Likewise with soccer and my eldest. I would have been an awful equestrian mom! For the first few years, it was all just, "wow, my kid can do cool flippy things! My kid can make the ball go in the goal!"

I, too, knew nothing when DD start gymnastics. Thankfully. I know myself, and if I were able to be involved and had knowledge, I'd have obsessed. I can still remember one mom saying "Oh, they just did the front mill" and I asked "What's that?" Then the week that mom went around telling EVERYONE that she got her kip. Some other gym moms said congratulations! I said "What's that?" LOL!!

As it is, I now know her routines enough to discuss with her (at her speed). I'm very proud of myself that I don't push (sometimes it's difficult - I'm pushy by nature). And I'm glad I know enough to sometimes help her in a "mom manner"... meaning "hey, when you hit the high bar with your legs before you did the back hip circle thing, is that part of the routine?" no. "Would you be interested in working with Coach J to see if she can help?" Absolutely! That's the extent of my help :)

But now I consider myself that rarest of the rare sports experts: I know the infield fly rule, I understand offsides in soccer, and I can tell a front giant from a back giant. WHO CAN MATCH MY AWESOMENESS!!
I have been taught and told and taught and told the infield fly rule, and offsides in soccer. Still don't get it.
BUT, I can indeed tell a front giant from a back giant. I think. LOL!!!

Reactions: sce
Love that blog post.

I had to sit my son down in front of a YouTueb video and tell me what the moves were called. I did this because he kept talking about them. (Pbars and rings and especially pommel horse have a lot of interestingly named moves. Still can't decipher what is what with pommel.)

The boys' stuff sounds sort of like an invading army. Russians, Magyars, Swedish falls, Japanese presses, English handstands . . .

But I also liked the blog post a lot. Every once in a while, I feel annoyed when I see my son laughing and fooling around with his friends on the floor instead of working on that sissone that still isn't getting the virtuosity tenth! or when my daughter is taking that extra leisurely minute (or ten) to chalk up before trying another pirouette. But now, with so much time in, I'm able to take that mental step back most of the time, wait, and then find that feeling of delight and amazement at what they can do when they stop giggling, square their shoulders, and go. For me, holding on to that sensation of amazement and wonder is what keeps me paying all this money and putting all the miles on my car to get them to the gym every.freaking.day. of the week this year.

NYC gym mom I totally know what you mean! The only thing I've been able to figure out is that the less time their hands touch the table the higher the score seems to be :) I've also learned that just because they stick their landing doesn't mean it was a good vault – other than that I'm pretty clueless.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back