Parents advice from dd's coach..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nameless

Proud Parent
STAY OFF OF CHALK BUCKET!! hahaha, gotta love him. there are only 3 reasons i can say i know what he means..

1.) alot of ppl here say it's kinda ridiculous to pay for privates for young kids.. dd had her first ever private yesterday and got her mill circle in literally 90 seconds of one-on-one training.. she has been working on that dang thing for nearly 2 years.. her excitement was well worth the $40 i paid. i soooooo can't wait to see her bar score next meet. and truthfully i would pay for a monthly private if our gym offered them. some kids really cannot focus with 100 kids running around the gym, and that's what dd told me. she said that she could focus and not feel rushed.

2.) dd's coach gave us a verbal list of things to practice at home.. what?? here everyone repeatedly says to keep gym in the gym.. he asked if i worked with her at home.. i said, "not really, since she's here so much i thought it wasn't good." if i had been working with her like i had been before this site, i'm pretty sure she woulda gained that shoulder flexibility that she needs.. true, he did give her things that seem safe.. but he is def ok with practicing at home.

3.) CB had me freaked out about which leg she starts cartwheels on. this is where he caught me.. i said, "i read somewhere that proper cartwheels should start on the left leg." after some explaining and reassurance he then looked at me and then said, "you really need to stay off chalk bucket."

st-st-studder.. i've never tried to hide on here.. i give specifics that i know give me away, along with the pics of dd, but for some reason i felt so caught in the headlights i could barely muster up, "that's not the only place i read about gymnastics." i wished i had just asked him "why?" instead..

because thing is chalk bucket gives education that her gym does not give..

"i read somewhere that proper cartwheels should start on the left leg." after some explaining and reassurance he then looked at me and then said, "you really need to stay off chalk bucket."

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that a "proper" round off starts on one leg or another on here. There has been discussion about a "righty" round off actually being a left twisting skill and vice versa, but never (That I am aware of. If I am mistaken and someone can provide a link, i will gladly retract that statement.) has anyone said that one leg or another is correct for all gymnasts.

That said, I can totally see how the depth of the conversations that coaches have on here sometimes could really confuse a parent and lead them down the wrong path if they are not familiar with the sport.

Reading the coaches posts can be like reading medical dictionaries. If you do not really understand the whole discussion you can get way off the beaten path. There is no right or wrong leg for cartwheels, but there are left leg AND right leg cartwheels. ;) Also practicing at home is not an issue, most people here just say "check with the coach", that way things are done the right way, and the right things are done. He is right that nobody is anonymous on the internet!

STAY OFF OF CHALK BUCKET!! hahaha, gotta love him. there are only 3 reasons i can say i know what he means..

1.) alot of ppl here say it's kinda ridiculous to pay for privates for young kids.. dd had her first ever private yesterday and got her mill circle in literally 90 seconds of one-on-one training.. she has been working on that dang thing for nearly 2 years.. her excitement was well worth the $40 i paid. i soooooo can't wait to see her bar score next meet. and truthfully i would pay for a monthly private if our gym offered them. some kids really cannot focus with 100 kids running around the gym, and that's what dd told me. she said that she could focus and not feel rushed.

2.) dd's coach gave us a verbal list of things to practice at home.. what?? here everyone repeatedly says to keep gym in the gym.. he asked if i worked with her at home.. i said, "not really, since she's here so much i thought it wasn't good." if i had been working with her like i had been before this site, i'm pretty sure she woulda gained that shoulder flexibility that she needs.. true, he did give her things that seem safe.. but he is def ok with practicing at home.

First I think that where privates are concerned, it's up to the individual parent and coach. What I remember being said on here is that people shouldn't feel like they absolutely have to do privates in order for their child to progress. Glad to hear that a private helped your DD. If mine was struggling with a skill, I'd get her some privates as well. As for home stuff, I have always felt that it's best to leave tumbling and harder skills in the gym. The possibility of injury is great when they try to do that sort of thing at home. I don't think there is anyone on here that would say not to do things like stretching or practicing routines (without tumbling) at home. In fact, my DD would go through the motions of her floor routine at home when she was learning it as well as running through the beam routine. Her coaches wanted that so she could get comfortable with it. I find many things here help me understand the sport but when it comes to her actual training, I leave that with DD's coaches.

I agree with Bog- a lot of it is interpretation...

1.) alot of ppl here say it's kinda ridiculous to pay for privates for young kids.. .

Well no.. What I've read here suggests privates can be useful for specific skills if they're struggling, or occasionally. I think the *ridiculous* bit comes when people are paying for weekly privates alongside 24 hours regular practice, or for a 4/5 year old level 2. The point being a child should be able to keep up with their peer group without regular, frequent private lessons.

Again, not exactly. Most coaches/people here (again as far as I've read) will say conditioning and flexibility are fine to work at home, as much as you want. Preferably after a chat with the coach so you're not doing hundreds of bridges or something and risking injury. What is not recommended is teaching BHS or salto's in the front room, getting a home beam and practicing anything other than dance/simple moves, or a home bar and trying to teach giants. Or pushing a child to practice at home if they don't want to.

3.) CB had me freaked out about which leg she starts cartwheels on. this is where he caught me.. i said, "i read somewhere that proper cartwheels should start on the left leg." after some explaining and reassurance he then looked at me and then said, "you really need to stay off chalk bucket."

Nope, never read that. The discussion was that a poster's gym seemed to teach them one particular side. If I recall correctly the following discussion was cartwheels can start either leg, and no one could figure out why a coach would teach a specific leg to all kids. Then it got a bit off track and went into which leg you should cartwheel on if you wanted to twist in a certain direction..

So I wouldn't say stay off chalk bucket :), but maybe bear in mind nearly everything an be misunderstood or misinterpreted ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back