WAG Advice on Starting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Justmehere

Gymnast
I am 16 almost 17 years old. I really want to start gymnastics, but the closest gym is an hour and a half away. I really just want to see if it is for me and try a private lesson as a birthday present, which is in a couple of weeks. I have never been the type of person to tell my parents what I want, and need some help. I have ADHD, and anxiety and have done research on how exercise and sports such as gymnastics will help with these things, I just don't know how to go about telling them.
I do do skills around the house such as headstands, handstands (almost perfected), using exericse ball to improve back/ hip flexibility, and a lot more.
I know that I could be good, I just need some coaching and I do enjoy my private lesson I would want to start actual recreational (to begin with), practices.

Some gyms only allow those on team or in one of their programs to do private lessons so you need to check on that. Would you be planning on going to this gym for a rec class or find some kind of program closer to home?
Why don't you tell your parents you would like to try a rec class in gymnastics and work together to find something. You might find the cost of 1 session of rec classes (8 or so) equals 1 private lesson.

I just want to say good for you! we have an "older" girl on our team. She is a L4 with my DD and is 13 and taller than most of the parents. She has really worked hard and is getting pretty good and just participated in her first meet with my dd a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck

I have anxiety as well and had a LOT of trouble dealing with it during my years in gymnastics. Being at the gym definitely helped, it was like I could be "regular" kid during those hours and not have my brain focused on all the things that were bugging me. It did interfere in some less positive ways (difficulty connecting to teammates, terrible meet anxiety), but the benefits definitely outweighed those negative aspects. So I would say go for it! Just let your parents know that you just want to give it a try, maybe they even know of someplace closer.
Are there any rec centers, YMCAs, or high schools with gymnastics programs near you? They usually don't have all the stuff that club gyms do, but it might be a better option for just trying it out and seeing if you like it. Good luck!

Just for seeing if you like it, you might also check with local dance studios. In my area quite a few dance studios also offer acro. It could be something good to start with w/o that long drive. Good luck!

I say go for it! Gymnastics is fantastic and you might find there is an adult gym class (our adult gym starts at 17). They are normally less structured and you can work on what you like best. Maybe look in to that?

By telling them, do you mean your parents? if so just say something like you have been wanting to try something new for a while and you have looked into gymnastics and it seems really fun and apparently is good for helping with ADHD and anxiety. I'm sure they would be okay with letting you have a go at it at least

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back