WAG Age for level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
I know I've read minimum age for competing level 4 is 7. Do they have to be 7 at the time of the meet or is it age 7 by state meet? Or does it vary by state?

7 for sanctioned but we know of several girls that got away with being 6 in a neighboring state...how do we know? Parents posted their kid let's on youtube competing....:cool:

7 for sanctioned but we know of several girls that got away with being 6 in a neighboring state...how do we know? Parents posted their kid let's on youtube competing....:cool:

Hopefully, as more meets use the new online meet registration this will become a thing of the past.

I think some states (or maybe it's all, I can't remember) the age is "must be X age by the state meet" .....and all age groups during season are what they are at state meet as well. I remember being at one back in the day and we had a girl that was 8 at time of competition but in the age groups at awards she was a "9 yr old" bc that is what she would be at the time of States.

I think some states (or maybe it's all, I can't remember) the age is "must be X age by the state meet" .....and all age groups during season are what they are at state meet as well. I remember being at one back in the day and we had a girl that was 8 at time of competition but in the age groups at awards she was a "9 yr old" bc that is what she would be at the time of States.

That's true, but it's only for award age groups. It doesn't allow competitors to circumvent the minimum age requirements.

This is the wording from the USAG rules and policies:

Age Determination and Regulations1. All gymnasts must reach the minimum age for the level before competing in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned competition (see chart on the next page).Example: Level 3 State meet date is Dec. 1; the last Level 3 State Qualifier is November 17, the gymnast will turn the minimum age for level 3 (6 yrs. old) on November 28th. She is ineligible to compete in the qualifying meet, and therefore does not have the opportunity to qualify to the Level 3 State Championships that season.

That's true, but it's only for award age groups. It doesn't allow competitors to circumvent the minimum age requirements.

This is the wording from the USAG rules and policies:

Age Determination and Regulations1. All gymnasts must reach the minimum age for the level before competing in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned competition (see chart on the next page).Example: Level 3 State meet date is Dec. 1; the last Level 3 State Qualifier is November 17, the gymnast will turn the minimum age for level 3 (6 yrs. old) on November 28th. She is ineligible to compete in the qualifying meet, and therefore does not have the opportunity to qualify to the Level 3 State Championships that season.

You are right. It has been too long since I thought about age requirement wording lol.

Hmmm...I have a 6 year who won't be 7 til Spring. I personally want her doing 3. I just think 4 is an awful lot of form detail for a 6 yr old. She really would only be able to do one meet plus states if she even qualified as a level 4. My concern is that she needs to learn the level 3 stuff on the bars if she's going to do 3 and they aren't working it at all. This is hilarious. We were frustrated bc my other daughter wallowed around in low compulsory levels a couple of years bc optional level programs around here were just few and far between. There have been some major gym changes in the past year, and they now want to push my younger daughter ahead quickly. Anyways, if she's not old enough, she's not old enough, so that's what I was sort of hoping.

Reactions: sce
Hmmm...I have a 6 year who won't be 7 til Spring. I personally want her doing 3. I just think 4 is an awful lot of form detail for a 6 yr old. She really would only be able to do one meet plus states if she even qualified as a level 4. My concern is that she needs to learn the level 3 stuff on the bars if she's going to do 3 and they aren't working it at all. This is hilarious. We were frustrated bc my other daughter wallowed around in low compulsory levels a couple of years bc optional level programs around here were just few and far between. There have been some major gym changes in the past year, and they now want to push my younger daughter ahead really quickly. Anyways, if she's not old enough, she's not old enough, so that's what I was sort of hoping.

It's amazing how our perspective can change, lol. I also have 2 girls in gym, and I've experienced it myself, too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back