Parents Ankle pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3gymgirls

Coach
Proud Parent
While I realize that you can't diagnose over the Internet, I am hoping for some reassurance that this isn't a big deal.

My 9 - year-old daughter is currently training for her second level 2 season which begins in January. She began complaining of ankle pain on her round offs and jumps last night. After getting more information today, it is just one ankle, does not hurt during PE or normal activities, and started a month ago.

She has been growing steadily, but is only about 48" tall. She did a couple gymnastics camps and had a busy summer. She hasn't mentioned it to her coaches yet because she "doesn't want to be a crybaby". I'm leaning towards getting her an neoprene brace and see if that helps any before seeing a doctor since it doesn't bother her any other times.

It's probably nothing but ever since letting a small pain go which led to 8 weeks out I always error on the cautious side. It's been a month. If your dd is going to be in this sport long term you might as well start a relationship with a good orthopedist now.

There was a family at our gym short-term that let an ankle pain "go". It turned out to be very serious and ended her gymnastics. A month is a long time...and gymnasts don't tend to be cry babies...so it may hurt more than she is letting on.

I would encourage you to do as everyone else is saying and check it out. Gymnastics puts a lot of load through the ankles and knees, so if she's experiencing pain for a month in one ankle there is definitely something not right there. It might be as common as severs disease or something more troubling.

I always follow the rule of looking after a niggling pain or ache for one week and if it's still bad enough that my daughter complains to me, I get it checked out.

My daughter rolled her ankle nearly 6 weeks ago and I could tell it was very painful for her, even though she was walking on it. Turned out it was an avulsion fracture of her ankle, not just a sprain. I had to push for an xray though, as even the doctor thought it was just a sprain.

The upshot is that she's been out of her cast for a week and is rapidly increasing her load on her ankle again. She should be back to full training in 2-3 weeks now.

Yeah I'd check it. My DD has had knee pain for more than 6 months now. It's been xrayed and nothing wrong apparently, but I'm going to get it checked again after states. Better safe than sorry.

My older DD had intermittent ankle pain a few years ago. I took her to the doctor after a few months of complaints. She has extra bones in her feet and it one foot it was rubbing on the tendon. She eventually had surgery to remove it and is back to normal. My younger DD has had intermittent knee pains. Took her in this week. She has Sinding Larsen Johansson syndrome. You just never know. Better to find out and know.

Definitely check it and don't self-diagnose. Braces and wraps can do more harm than good if they are not used correctly, so you don't want to go that route unless a doctor tells you it is necessary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back