Annoying/tiring conditioning drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At my gym we do conditioning drills when my crossfit manic coach feels like having fun (it may be fun for her, but it is SO not fun for us!) and we also do them for punishment. For me, ALL of them are kinda annoying, but my least favorite (which, of course, is my coach's favorite) is when we have to do 20 push-ups (i know you competitive team girls condition like crazy, and 20 push-ups are easy, but we're level 1 and 2 in my class here, okay?) for punishment for talking (and i tend to be a blabbermouth so let's just say i have very strong arms....). What are you guys least favorite?

Oh please no rope climbs!! :eek: Especially multiple rope climbs without legs! No matter how much I chant to myself "I love rope, I love rope", it doesn't work. I actually dislike all conditioning, but rope climbs stand out a lot. Bars conditioning (chinups, leglifts, etc) also are pretty bad with sore and/or ripped hands. Anything involving cardio makes me huff and puff more than the great big bad wolf too. :knockout:

Leglifts, bar hangs & burpees. Burpees kill my knees, my legs are muscular therefore heavy so leglifts are hard & bar hangs just suck.

I have a system of burpees I developed for working with boys when they talk or do dumb stuff (like swinging or throwing around equipment).

10 burpees 1st incident, 20 the 2nd, the 3rd, 80 the 4th. Some offenses are 100 burpees a pop ( hitting or pushing or doing something really stupid like running in the gym or running across a landing mat ). They either did the burpees or sat out until they did. If they were late after their snack break...burpees.

For the girls, I used to implement either wall sits or pushup position holds or 5 ropeclimbs (legs allowed).

My coach used to give me 30 pushups every time I swore. I really hated that more than anything.

Cardio. I have exercise induced asthma and although I use an inhaler, the doctor said nothing will completely take it away, so even after using it I still feel the effects. Anything cardio for a time longer than a minute or two just kills, especially jumprope. I've gotten pretty good at toughing it out with running and not stopping because of PE, but usually I have to take a break with jump roping.
I also really don't like rope climbs.

100 push up reaches. Idk if you do these but it's when you do a push up and touch your nose to the ground then with one arm reach up! I hate them!

It is so funny all the littler kids at our gym LOVE <3!!! The rope. Everyone else when they come to the senses hate it! I guess it is the same with bars, that is all the little ones want to do, then you get kips and no one likes bars anymore lol.

I hate squat walks, sometimes we have to do them around the entire floor and my thighs kill. I also hate jump rope because I always hit my toes and it hurts so bad!

I like ab stuff and I'm pretty good at leg lifts.

Yeah jumproping in bare feet can be problematic and ouch.

Can rope climb with no legs = better chance of being good at bars.

My coach's favorite is lunges with weights, block jumps on vault, and the worst of all: when you put a 4-incher over the pit and you have to jump on it. Like, 50 tuck jumps, 50 straddle, 50 split, 50 pike and 50 wolf. When your done, your legs burn! This one really helps with beam! It's really where you do every skill in your beam routine onto an elevated surface. For me, the first skill other than the mount is a switch leap. So, I'd take the same amount of steps into it, but land in a split on the wedge. That's what you do for leaps and jumps. Then for tumbling skills, you use panel mats. Then, for the dismount, it gets fun! We all do a skill into the dismount. Either a round off, a bhs, and then there's me. I do a fhs (like I land on 2 feet and punch off the beam). We stack mats and we do the skill into it and we have to get so much rotation which varies on how high we stacked the mars.

I have a system of burpees I developed for working with boys when they talk or do dumb stuff (like swinging or throwing around equipment).

10 burpees 1st incident, 20 the 2nd, the 3rd, 80 the 4th. Some offenses are 100 burpees a pop ( hitting or pushing or doing something really stupid like running in the gym or running across a landing mat ). They either did the burpees or sat out until they did. If they were late after their snack break...burpees.

For the girls, I used to implement either wall sits or pushup position holds or 5 ropeclimbs (legs allowed).

My coach used to give me 30 pushups every time I swore. I really hated that more than anything.

I like this ^^^^. I would probably die with the burpees, good job I'm not a boy. The pushup holds, wallsits & rope climbs would be ok.

I think I'll modify this & try it with my older Intermediate girls (12+)

I've never implemented that same system with the girls. I'm too much of a TeddyBlair. OTOH, I really think sometimes "Poor Guys."

Our coach is also quite crazy! We have this new conditioning were we have to do minute thirties. Then backtucks for a minute. Then mountain climbers. Then one legged hops. Then sprint for 30 seconds. This is all in a row. Then on other days we do this workout called "Insanity" which is not fun at all! We also have a trainer. Our coach said May is "Strength Month". At the end of the month she is going to see who has the nicest Abs, Calves, Biceps, Shoulders, Thighs, even butt.

Insanity. Wow, you and the UC Berkeley girls have something in common (they don't do it anymore I think, hope). :rolleyes:

It's a good thing I don't have the power of Force Choke...or I'm sure I'd probably use it everyday while on forums.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back