WAG approaching judges table after final salute

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
I've been watching some you tube videos and noticed that sometimes gymnasts go stand at the judges table after they perform.

I never noticed anyone doing that in my daughter's competitions last year (our first year)…they would do their final salute and then just walk back to join their team and/or coach.

Is that only done in JO? And what exactly are they doing?

I have noticed the same thing on you tube and wondered myself. My daughters are JO and they have never done that. They would do the same as yours and just go back to there group and see there score on the screen. It looks like they are standing in front of the judges and waiting for there score.

At my daughter's meets, they are handed a ribbon after each event. They are color coded based on what score they get. I don't know what level they stop doing it, but by the end of the season, all the littles are banking on that blue ribbon.

Yep, sometimes with the lower levels they are given a ribbon right away - blue for a 9 or higher, red for an 8 or higher and yellow for a 7 or higher.

My girls have been given the ribbons at the awards after the meet but never during the meet. If they are given during the meet do they still have awards after?

With ACHIEVEMENT meets, they get the ribbon based on score, not placement, immediately after they compete. This is what you are seeing.

OP, your daughter competes for PLACEMENT.

so, i went back and re-watched one of the videos after reading these replies and i'm still confused. in this video below, the gymnast walks to judges table after each event (for example at 1:38), but there is also an awards ceremony with placement at the end.

Even at sanctioned meets in my region, you receive ribbons with scores up until level 5. The ribbon is handed out immediately after the routine at most meets but not all.

JO level 3 and 4 and bronze and silver (maybe other Xcel levels, can't remember) get achievement ribbons based on score throughout the meet. There are also awards at the end. A few states divide level 3 into achievement and placement, but that is fairly unusual. Achievement awards are given at any USAG sanctioned meet for those levels.

interesting. thanks. must be a regional thing? no xcel (bronze) meets we attended last year did ribbons (N.C. & Va.).

so, now my question is why are both necessary? i understand the purpose of the achievement ribbon in the absence of placement, but whats it purpose in conjunction with it?

Maybe your coaches don't let the kids get it because VA definitely does it. It's not really optional. Or you're going to I unsanctioned meets but not in VA (don't have any at bronze really, some levels have ones that are really clinics in meet format) so I don't know.

I have never seen that done at a meet either, and we have been to xcel bronze- gold meets, and JO level 6-8 meets, in California.

A lot of this is regional and/or states rights. Here in Nor Cal, they do placement awards (including 100% AA) for levels 2 and 3 and Xcel, and placement (usually top half) at the higher levels. No achievement awards.

Maybe your coaches don't let the kids get it because VA definitely does it. It's not really optional. Or you're going to I unsanctioned meets but not in VA (don't have any at bronze really, some levels have ones that are really clinics in meet format) so I don't know.
i've only been to one in virginia- the huge excalibur cup at virginia beach- and they didnt do them there.

I'm sure Excalibur cup does achievement. Some coaches don't let the kids get it because they don't want to deal with it. I've never gone to a meet in VA that doesn't offer it. For sanctioned meets, that is part of the protocol. Also some judges like to hand them all to the coaches at the end. Then it's up to the coaches to distribute. However in VA mostly we let the kids go sit by the score input person who does it. But they sometimes get in the way of the judges.

I kind of hate achievement ribbons, but I always let my kids get them and hand them out.

At all meets we were last season (L4 and 5, and as far as I know it was the same for L3) the kids did get achievement ribbons, at the very end, normally stapled to a score card. Once or twice the ribbons were loose, but always at the end, given to the teams coaches by the meet officials and handed out to the kids by their coach. Each meet had an award ceremony with various placement awards (sometimes they called everyone in each age group all the way out, sometimes only the first 5 or 6 scores, it was different at every meet) at the end of each session. We went to meets in both Oregon and Washington.

interesting. thanks. must be a regional thing? no xcel (bronze) meets we attended last year did ribbons (N.C. & Va.).

so, now my question is why are both necessary? i understand the purpose of the achievement ribbon in the absence of placement, but whats it purpose in conjunction with it?

Some do ribbons (achievement) for individual events, and placement (trophies) for All-around.

http://vausag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-2014_VAUSAG_Member_Club_Handbook_10-15-13.pdf

Page 9, #5 achievement awarded to all Xcel divisions at all VA meets. Gold and up rarely take them in my experience though, that's why I couldn't remember.

so, if thats the case i guess our coach either didnt know to pick them up, or chose not to then. they definitely were not giving them on the floor and they didnt formally present them to the girls at awards, either.

:eek: we were robbed!!! lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back