are my chances of getting a college scholarship ruined?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

im 16 and a sophomore in high school. I was supposed to compete as a level 10 but an ankle injury kept me from doing the harder skills, and eventually i lost them, so this season im competing as a level 8 and im scared my chances of getting a scholarship to Ohio State are gone.

I have another question: my dismount for high bar was supposed to be a double back off but now i cant do even a simple flyaway. I either let go to early or late, im scared that i lost my flyaway. Any tips?

First things first, the flyaway. A lot of girls who have fear issues with flyaways feel more comfortable doing them from a low bar set up as high as it will go, swinging with bent knees and probably with a spot. You can also swing on the high bar, facing a stack of wedge mats, and let go to roll down the mats. Next, it's on to actual flyaways from a swing. Once you can do a flyaway from tap swings, you can try it from a cast, then a higher cast, then a cast handstand, then giants. That might take a while, but you could do it before and I"m sure you'll be able to do it again.

As for the scholarship, I'm not super sure about the logistics of scholarships, but I bet you'll get your skills back sooner than you think, at least once the season is over. Even if a scholarship isn't possible, you can do college gymnastics as a walk-on or at a lower division school.

I have a question...if you were supposed to compete Level 10 this season, how are you allowed to drop back to Level 8?

I think it will be tough to get a scholarship at a school like Ohio State being a L8 as a sophomore but boys tend to mature later in their gymnastics so you never know. Have you contacted the coaches at OSU to let them know you are interested? You can call them ( and if they pick up, they'll talk to you but they can't call you back) . You could also have your club coach contact them on your behalf to get the ball rolling. I would also look on the websites of schools you are interested in and see if you would be able to attend any of the camps they have...some have Thanksgiving or Christmastime camps as well as a summer camp...it's a way to check out the school and they can check out you too!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case, I know even less. Flyaway drills should still be applicable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back