Ariel drills please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgagym

Coach
Proud Parent
I know we had a recent tread about ariels but we got on the discussion of lifts and I do not need help with that. I am doing privates with a little girl who wants to learn an ariel. She has a great cartwheel and great power. We have been doing dive cartwheels off a folded panel, off a wedge, and over a folded panel. Just wondering if there is any other great drills out there.

Thanks!

I think dive cartwheels are a bad idea as they are teaching the gymnast to jump down or at least not aim for height. Rather you should head in the opposite direction. Have her do cartwheels onto i higher surface like a crash mat or a panel mat. Build it up slowly and try and have her perform the cartwheel with strait arm and not put her hands down until her support foot has left the ground.

While working that drill also teach her one armed cartwheels. Have her alternate arms (Not changing to non dominant cartwheel side). You can then begin working on creating a delay in when she pits that one hand down. These drills could also be combined with the uphill tumbling drill.

When you think she is getting very strong swing with her back leg and a strong jump with her support leg you can start teaching her the arm actions. Let her then try some ariels and planting one hand if she knows she won't make it around.

You can do things like one leg squats or pistol rolls to strengthen the jumping leg. For the swing leg you can use a thera band and practice backward leg swings with something like a beam for support.

I think dive cartwheels are a bad idea as they are teaching the gymnast to jump down or at least not aim for height. Rather you should head in the opposite direction. Have her do cartwheels onto i higher surface like a crash mat or a panel mat. Build it up slowly and try and have her perform the cartwheel with strait arm and not put her hands down until her support foot has left the ground.

pattymello I never thought of it like that. I was taught doing them off of something, but on make so much more sense. I will try that with her next week! Thank you!!

If she's very new to aerials, have her do a cartwheel/dive cartwheel off of a cheese mat (she'll run up it and land off it). Once she becomes comfortable with this, spot her in an aerial from off the cheese mat.
Eventually she should be able to do aerials consistently off the cheese mat, and then I'd recommend having her do them off a panel mat, and then finally doing it on the floor from a run.
Really, an aerial just needs good technique and the confidence to keep your hands off the ground!

What an epiphany! Just let dunno walk in and "zap" her with his "gymnastics" Trident. Jeez! Let's all go out and buy that piece of equipment for the gym!!:D But then there's always the risk that little Ariel will end up with her quad-quad before the rest of us.

Sorry if I mis-spelled it, I"ll let you choose the best from the list I was considering.....

arial

aeryly

aeriel

ariel

error-ye-yell

air-eeeeee!-yell:eek:!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back