WAG Average age to begin TOPS training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My little one started in a TOPS(ish) program at 5. Really hit it hard at about 6 1/2, but she has birthday early in the year. Some girls test before they are 6 1/2. I would say at least a year before 1st tops test.

My DD was invited at 5 this past October and turned 6 shortly after training started. She is the youngest one of the group of eight girls that are training to test in July, but all the girls turn 7 this year.

I think our gym must be odd in this, but I haven't heard of anyone testing younger than 8, and most of the girls are 9 or 10.

Generally, they start at 6-7yo, possibly 8 at our gym. However, not everyone on the TOPs team is asked to test. Several just aren't ready.

DD started right before she turned 7yo, and had to test just a few months later.

My older dd started at 8 because our previous gym didn't do Tops, she does a 3 hr tops class plus her regular JO practices. My youngest dd just started an hour a week Tops class and she is 5.

Dd gym just started TOPS in November, 2014 by invite only. Coach said a committee made the decision on who would train and who will test in June. All the girls are 6 but will turn 7 by June. Not sure on ideal age but my Dd loves the training and seems to be getting stronger.

I imagine 5 or a young 6 would be ideal in a lot of cases. DD started at 4.5 with just basic physical abilities stuff for TOPs. She'll more than likely test this summer and will have just turned 7 around that time.

Our gym is starting them at 5 now. They started the program the year my DD turned 7. She started in January and made the Diamond Team that same summer. Since it worked out, I'm kind of glad she started at almost 7 instead of 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back