WAG Baby giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sjm2b3

Proud Parent
I thought that there was a baby giant in the L5 bar routine, but apparently not (DD just competed that level this fall and when she did that move she called it a baby giant but now she says it wasn't).

She now does a similar move, but from a bigger cast, but she comes all the way around, says she has to move her wrists and doesn't touch her hips (she finishes hanging/ swinging from the bar, if that makes sense). It's not a giant, I know what a giant is. Is that a baby giant? What's the purpose of that skill; is it a precursor to a real giant?

We call these baby giants...

Some people call them 3/4 giants.

Swing pullovers are also called baby giants by some.

She now does a similar move, but from a bigger cast, but she comes all the way around, says she has to move her wrists and doesn't touch her hips (she finishes hanging/ swinging from the bar, if that makes sense). It's not a giant, I know what a giant is. Is that a baby giant? What's the purpose of that skill; is it a precursor to a real giant?

This sounds like a free hip circle.

Reactions: sce
No, it's not the clear hip--she did that for L5. It's like what JBS posted except she doesn't clear quite as well, it's not spotted.

Oh, if it's a drill it could also be a hollow over. DD's team still does them occasionally to clean up form on giants.

Coaches, do you do 3/4 giants/baby giants (to swing out) from a tap swing or cast? I usually have mine cast into it but have wondered if swinging might do a better job of helping them learn the correct tap.

Coaches, do you do 3/4 giants/baby giants (to swing out) from a tap swing or cast? I usually have mine cast into it but have wondered if swinging might do a better job of helping them learn the correct tap.

Depends on the gymnast at our club. We teach little ones (potential elite path) from a swing. Older girls who haven't already learned it for whatever reason, I would teach it from a cast.

Incidentally we call these "scoop Giants". A 3/4 circle on our club would finish with hips on the bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back