back extension roll conditioning and drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
a few of my girls are having problems with opening up into the handstand. they almost always open up way too early and sometimes they open up late but it almost never happens that way. so are their any drills out there that help with the timing? and also is there any conditioning that they could do to improve the back extension roll all together. they have been working on these for a while and they just cant seem to get the timing right.

I would put a block behind them and have them roll to front support, but with the feet on the block, so they are in diagonal front support. If they are opening early they are likely to be arching too, and this will help to fix the shape. Then gradually increace the height of the block. Eventually they can go up to a wedge against the wall (so at an angle of about 20 degrees from the vertical).
Ok, this explains much better and is basically what I do. YouTube - Back Extension Rolls

We have a neat little device at our gym. Looks handmade. Basically it's a pvc pipe with two knobby wheels at the end. Used for free-hip a lot.

For opening up of the shoulders, work it with bands or possibly seated straight arm overhead raises with a bar or weight.

they are getting better with opening up. now its just getting to the handstand without bending the arms. so thank you for the suggestions, they have helped them much^^

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back