Coaches Back handspring layout step out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
Hi
I have some gymnasts that need to start thinking about connections on beam, I would like to do back handspring layout step outs with them and I was wondering if anyone had any good drills/techniques you use to make these work for your gymnasts

One thing you could try that I have seen people do is get a panel mat and do back handspring back handspring with the first bhs landing on the floor and the second one going up to the panel mat after you get really good at this start trying to transition into a bhs layout step-out.

Hope this helps!

And then bhs to the end of the beam into a layout step out onto a panel mat (put a beam wide line on it the same height). Once adjusted and comfortable with that, like 200 later, start adding one panel fold at a time to increase the lift and height required to make it. I don't think there's any benefit to adding more than two folds, and would spend the kids energy doing them on a padded medium beam from that point on.

If the kid has previously worked bhs layout on the floor line, and done so for a year on a regular basis, it's likely the layout is already as good as it's going to get..... so the added height on the fold up isn't that big of a deal unless it seems there's less energy coming from the kid and she needs a challenge.

Really, the skill isn't that hard once they've learned how to tumble into the take off for the layout. Come to think of it, I've had a few kids tell me they liked the series better than the bhs-bhs they grew up with. Hey, it makes sense to me when I think about the chances of losing alignment when kids go to their hands on the 2nd bhs of a bhsx2 series..... and human bodies are built for feet first, not hands first, landings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back