WAG Back Handspring on Beam - Trouble with hands on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
We've just started doing back handsprings on beam. We've done drills (Back handsprings up to panel mats and others) and now we've started trying them with mats stacked up so it's not quite even with the beam, but high enough so you won't crash if your hands don't land on the beam.

Well my back handsprings are good, and my hips are straight and me feet always land on, but I just can't seem to get my hands on!!

Any advice, tips or drills?

I have one main tip for you... practice. When I first started doing handsprings on beam I'd NEVER get my hands on. I literally did hundreds before I'd put my hands on the low beam. Try doing some where you focus only on your hands and don't worry about the landing. Eventually it'll just become muscle memory. After I started to get my hands on, I never had any trouble with it again.

If you've done back walkovers and cross handstands, you pretty much know how your hands should be placed on the beam. More than that, the bwo proves you can place your hands during a motion that moves backwards into an upside down position.... so what's the problem?

Could it be the bhs is "just too fast"...... I doubt it, and what's it matter any way...... things were probably "too fast" on a lot of the beam skills you now do confidently, so you just have to make it happen..... which you've already done on cartwheels, cross handstands, and bwo.

Hey, but these are sooo dangerous...... No, not really. The motion of a properly done bhs on beam will allow you to rotate past the upside down position even if your hands miss the beam.... like totally miss. I don't think I'd like to have someone work through a bunch of misses in a week, but surviving a "miss" every once in a while ain't that bad. Considering missed hands on a back walkover would be a whole lot scarier and more dangerous, you ought to be happy for the chance to do bhs work on the beam...... like geez, what a relief.

Another thing to think about. What would you call an adult who knowingly and intentionally organized a group of kids for the purpose of exposing them to unreasonable risk and injury...... an idiot, abuser, or just way too into their agenda to care about the kids they coach. So do you believe your coach falls into either of the first two categories, geez, I hope not. Do you see a bunch of broken bodies littering the gym because this coach has kids do stuff they can't reasonably do?

Here's the deal the way I see it and how it works for me. I care about the kids I work with, and feel it is my responsibility to help them safely through their gym experience. I never tell kids to do things I suspect they aren't ready for, and even require they prove they are ready for many of the skills they want to work on. Hey, even if I didn't care, and just saw coaching as a way to prove how much a hotshot coach I was, do you think I could do that if I keep putting my kids, my chances for fame and glory, in harms way. Heck no! Even if I didn't care, I'd still see each kid as a chance to prove my ability.

So are you "getting it" yet? You have the coach, the experience, and the skill to get this done. What it really comes down to is you. You have to decide that you've spent enough time toiling away with nothing to show for your hard work but frustration and self doubt. Once you make that decision.... walk up to your coach and ask this simple question, "do you really feel I'm ready and able to do this skill," and then trust them to answer truthfully, which should lead to you getting on the beam and doing the bhs the way it needs to be done.

Here's a quick drill you can do if you're unsure you can get your hands on the beam......

Sit with one leg on each side of the beam.

Look at the end of the beam and reach your hands from an overhead position to place your hands on the beam without looking at the spot you'll place your hands. I bet you get your hands "on" every time. As a matter of fact, you can change the drill however you want, like sit below the beam on a tall enough mat to be able to reach the under side of the beam. Hey you can even do this by looking at the end of the beam, closing your eyes, and then reaching for your hand placement with closed eyes.

The thing is.... Putting your hands on is the easy part. So what's the hard part? Getting good enough on back handsprings to convince your coach you're ready to work them on the beam, and it seems you've already done that....

I have to say iwannacoach, that was a heck of a motivational speech and I loved it!!
Very true, it may just be a mental thing, that's the only thing I can think of!
Thanks!

Provided you are paired with a competent coach you can respect and work with.......

The hardest part of gymnastics, is the conditioning, flexibility, rest, and nutrition.

The 2nd hardest part is convincing yourself it's as easy as your coach says it is.

The 3rd hardest part is to throw away your idea of how skills work when your version is different than your coach's.

The 4th hardest part is to decide that today is the day to "make that change."

Truly, the sport gets almost easy once you win those four "battles"........ and that's when the sport gets really interesting, rewarding, and fun.... very, very, fun.

It you ever fancy a nice lil' ole holiday in the nicest part of the UK Iwannacoach, please feel free to come and stay with is, there is just the small condition of having to convince my daughter of everything you have just said ......... lol

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

It you ever fancy a nice lil' ole holiday in the nicest part of the UK Iwannacoach, please feel free to come and stay with is, there is just the small condition of having to convince my daughter of everything you have just said ......... lol

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

The hardest part of of being a coach is getting the kids to accept parts one through four. Perhaps I'll look you up the next time I'm about. Try not to hold your breath waiting for me, as I don't get over there all that often. If, by some miracle, I get over there while your dd is still having a go at it........ well, I'll be more than happy to teach her how to count to four. Especially considering we're probably related, as we both have the "iwanna" root to our "names,"

the hardest part of being a coach is being a coach.:)

Well I read her your answer and today we got our Kip and back walkover on beam :), added to 4 shineys (gold on floor, bars and vault, silver all round) from a comp yesterday its been a great Bank Holiday Weekend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back