WAG Back pain during core conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Redford

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I have 2 girls who tend to get backpain whenever we're doing core conditioning. This is during hollow rocks, situps and similar. I'm a bit jumpy at back pain as I'm batteling back pain myself, which could have been prevented easily with better coaching.
Anyway, we have a few candidates who are prone to back pain and with them we have it well under control with a lot of core stabi. Strangly those are not the ones struggling in conditioning. Those 2 girls are pain free in walkovers and such which traditionally cause back pain (or at least they say so) and even back exercises. It only appears in ab conditioning. Today I took them aside and had them do the easiest form of hollow holds, controling that the tummy was in, hips tucked under, back pressed to the floor and while it was not painful, they still felt it in their back more than in their abs. I'm growing slightly concerned here. Core conditioning should prevent back pain, not cause it. :/
Does anyone have experiences with this kind of pain? How did you get it under control?

It is possible that their abs are stronger than their backs. A lot of gymnasts have an even amount of strength because we do so much for the front and often not as much for the back. This can cause problems later because if the muscles are uneven they will pull the gymnasts body if one area.

I would suggest you have see girls visit a physiotherapist for a full evaluation. Once you know where the muscle weaknesses are it will be much easier to target and develop them.

Equally it can be the other way around - strong back muscles kicking in and working because the stomach is weak. The pain of back muscles working is sometimes very difficult to distinguish from the pain of injury. I agree with Aussie coach, get the situation checked out. Until then give them simple exercises and slowly build up time/reps as they can handle it. Perhaps everyone needs to be using the core stability/control program that you have for those who already have a problem.

Not a gymnast, but I do/have done weight training and conditioning. Core includes back and abs. Both need to be trained equally. When I worked with my trainer, we never did abs without back.

Interesting. What is their pike stretch like? How does their back appear when doing a standing pike stretch?

Thank you all for your replies!
I will suggest the physiotherapist though I can't make the parents go there and I very much doubt they will.
I think although the symptoms are similar it might actually be different issues with the two of them as gymnast#1 is otherwise strong but has trouble holding a good hollow while gymnast#2 (despite the pain) can do an excellent hollow body psoition, even during routines.
Gymdog, gymnast#1 has an ok pike stretch, not great but with straight back and is improving it. Gymnast#2 actually can't do this stretch for the life of her. She pikes down with a very round lower back, says she doesn't feel the stretch but can't go down any further.

I think ultimately they need to be assessed by a professional, but my guess is it's possible an issue with the flexion pattern in the lower back in one, the one who can't do a hollow I'm guessing is overusing her hip flexors and then getting into lumbar extension, probably has weak glutes. But again with the lumbar spine I would just advise parents to get assessed by a professional.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back