backhandspring ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

uhm hey . well im working on my backhandspring . ive been doing gymnastics for about 4 months & we started working on them about a month ago. My coach told me that i can do one but i just dont "lock" my arms.. can anyone give me some advice?

Stand with your back to a good clear wall. Stand away from the wall and swing and stretchback and jump off the floor. Push off the wall with your hands flat on the wall and land back on your feet on balance. Get this to at least a 45 degree angle or more. I prefer you looking in but you can look back at the wall if you can't get in the right position looking in. Concentrate on straight arms till its the only way your arms feel good and you bounce off the wall like a superball. Then go back to regular back handsprings and try to land on the floor on your hands so you get the same push. Over rotate your arms so your hands land past your head. Not under your head. Past your head. Enjoy...

i just dont "lock" my arms.. can anyone give me some advice?

Sometimes this can be an issue of not "taking your feet with you" when you jump back. If you lift and open your hips but do not lift your feet enough you will HAVE to bend your arms to make it over. When you jump back, think hips to the ceiling, toes to the corner (meaning the corner where the wall meets the ceiling).

careful!

When your coach sayslock out your arms, you don't want to hyper extend them because that can leadto injuries.
You wantto thing more of pushing off of the floor with your arms so that you can snap out of the bhs
Open your hips, and pull your toesover to help with themomentum--

~Kyra~

When your coach sayslock out your arms, you don't want to hyper extend them because that can leadto injuries.
You wantto thing more of pushing off of the floor with your arms so that you can snap out of the bhs
Open your hips, and pull your toesover to help with themomentum--

~Kyra~

I agree with this poster. I think that if the coach that is instructing you is insisting that you 'lock' your arms out, there are some serious implications to this statement.

By jumping backward onto the hands and having the arms in a locked out position there is a potential for overuse injuries to the elbow area. Many coaches instruct gymnast's to turn their hands inwards so the fingers face each other. The sole reason for this instruction is the natural bend on the elbow created when the hands are rotated inwards while in contact with the floor.

Goodluck and stay safe

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back