Balancing gymnastics and coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do any of you gymnasts also coach? I don't train every day so I would be able to coach if it wasn't on a day I have practice. I want to coach really badly but I don't want it to interfere with my practice schedule which I'm sure it won't because I rarely practice. Once I reach a higher level tho I will have more practices so I can't coach and practice at the same time. So here are my questions:
-How do you guys manage practice and coaching?
-How often do you practice and coach?
-Does your gym allow you to pick the days you coach?
-How many days/hours do you have to work?
If you guys have any other advise please let me know. Thank you for your help in advance.

I would think that if you were coaching at your gym, they would schedule you around your practices because they know when you are there. It wouldn't make much sense for them to have you coach at a time when you should be practicing. If you see a conflict between your work and practice schedule, I'd just remind them that you have to be practicing at that time.

Interesting question. I might not have the answer you're looking for but I have an answer of what I do. My coach lets me coach and do gym at the same time. For instance..I take my turn on bars and then jump up on the spotting block and double spot giants with my coach. Not the norm I'm sure. But I'm making the transition from gymnast to coach and we have a small starter gym with not very many girls yet that this situation works great. I don't have time to coach a class..but getting to learn how to spot and give corrections during practice is working great at the moment. Tons of learning and working at the same time. Again..not the norm..but it works great for me.

Ok. Thank you!! I don't know if I have time either because I have a busy schedule outside of gym but I do want to make room for coaching because one day I want to coach a team and not just a class.

I train 20 hours a week and manage to fit in my coaching!:)
i coach every week day from 4-5 my training starts at 4.30 so i miss the warm up but nothing else, although i do 4-6 on mondays with what we call our 'mini's' which is basically like pre-team and i start training at 6 on mondays and on saturdays i coach 9.45-10.45 and start training at 11!:)
The head coach at our gym is very understanding and said to me (and the others that coach) that we can come in on a separate day and make up on the training we miss is we want to!:)

At our gym the girls who coach who are still training tend to do one of the beginner after school classes (3.45-4.45) and then start training at 4.45 when the class finishes. Or do Sunday birthday parties.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back