bar routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sara's mom

Hi, there. My question deals with the bars. My daughter wants to start doing giants and other higher level skills. The problem is her coaches. They seem to be holding her and the other HS girls back. I notice they seem to be afraid to try new skills or they are lacking the cofidence to try. Any ideas? I am thinking on taking her to another town to find a coach who will work with her over the summer to boost her cofidence and allow her to try the higher level skills, not just on bars but on beam, vault and floor.

Hi and welcome.

Coaches have many reasons for not introducing skills.

First questions are: Does your dd have the skill set to move on to giants? Has she done progressions towards giants? Is she mentally and physically prepared to complete the skill safely? Only the coach/athlete know the answers to these questions.

If all of these questions are answered with a yes, then the next question is "Is the coach capable of teaching/spotting giants?" Some coaches are not able/haven't learned how to spot higher level skills. If this is the case, then you should look for another gym/coach to work on the skill.

You need to understand the reasons before you take action. If the first set of questions has "no" for the answers, then switching gyms/coaches won't matter.

HTH:)

My dd has had similar issues. It seems like she is progressing so slowly to work on her giants, and she only has one coach that will spot her. The other won't. I guess these things just take time for some gymnasts, but not others.

I agree with what the other responder said. Your daughter may not be ready for giants yet.

MamaofEnS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back