Bar skills progression?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

micdda

Coach
So I'm fairly new to this, but I would like to know the progression of skills a gymnast learns on bars.. Starting out im thinking pullover, backhip circle, squat on, long hang pullover, shoot through, front hip circle, low bar glide kip, high bar kip or flyaway, ... and then it gets fuzzy. would the next thing to learn be a clear hip? or learning to cast out into a second glide kip? And then once you do get this, how do you go about learning giants? Is that what you would go to next? would you start with cast handstand or??
I'm about up to flyaway, just learned that. Having a lot of trouble with my high bar kip (so any tips with that would be SO appreciated). Im learning at the Y, so honestly, there isnt much teaching at all and they don't know any drills for me b/c it's just a free rec class. So If someone could lay out the order to learn things and how to go about it, I would be so grateful!! sorry about all the questions.

I really can't recommend going beyond what you've already got without an experienced coach present.

Sorry

Once your glide kip is solid you will work cast into another kip, this will prep you for clear hip. The next skills are usually cast to handstand, clear hip circles and giants.

I'll find a way to make it safe. I'm in 11th grade, and this next highschool season will probably be my last time I ever get to do it. I just want to get as far as I can. Somebody in there probably knows how to spot, if I just figure out what I need to be working on. Right now tho, before I try anything else, I need to get my high bar kip. Any tips? Advice?

The main mistake gymnasts make with the high bar kip is swinging into it with too much power this makes your momentum go upwards rather than forwards. At you jump to high bar keep your feet behind your hips.

I wonder if there is any way you could set up some private lessons with a club gym coach. I know they're not cheap, but the cost is WELL worth avoiding a serious injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back