WAG basics! coaches; how do handle it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pumpkinpie

Once a gymnast has learned a skill and can do it on her own almost everytime, how many reps should she do per day/week in order to keep it and perfect form?

For example, all of my L6 gymnasts can always do good cartwheels on floor without even thinking. Back tucks, front tucks and back and front handsprings on the trampoline also fall into this category.

But cartwheels on beam, standing back tucks, front tucks off a block, standing back handsprings, standing back handspring stepouts and really good round-offs are a little harder and alhough they almost always stick those skills, they need a little thinking before, which I guess is totally normal at their Level.

But my question is, how many reps per training session of those basic skills (tumbling passes not included) should they do?
We train 3 times a week for 4 hours at a time.

We always do 50 minutes warm-up and stretching, then about 1 hour of basic drills and the rest on events and conditioning.

So would you rather do every skill just 5 times but therefore 3 days a week or would it be better to split it up and do more reps?
For example
day1: 15 back tucks, 15 back handsprings, 30 layouts
day2: 15 front tucks, 15 front tuck front tucks on trumbl trak, 30 front layouts on tumbl trak
day3: 15 cartwheels on besm, 15 back extension rolls, 15 cartheel back tucks

Curious about your methods!

To be honest if I had to do 30 layouts I would be stuffed! We usually do 5-10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back