Coaches Beam complex

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We too do grapevines both ways and the girls who move up always struggle since that's different than the lower level complexes.

I agree with sideways walks and grapevines. It really encourages good posture/alignment and body control (stomach in, butt squeezing). I also like kicks- forwards, step forward and kick the back leg (work on squeezing the back knee since bent back legs seem to be a big problem in split leaps/jumps), and kicks to the side (knees turned up).
For my pre-team kids I like bear walks with "handstand hands", it helps them to start feeling inverted. For my little ones we do them on a low beam but my older/more advanced pre-teamers do them on high beam.
I also like turns, especially heel snap 1/2 turns to help my lower level kids get the hang of arm and foot position without winding up and flinging themselves around.

Fwd, bwd, sideways in releve. At least toe/ball/heel for lower levels. Adding in coupe, passe, develope. Sometimes stepping in to lock and releve.

Step, lock, pivot turn and back.

Leg swings, punches, walking needle kicks.

I also like releve holds for 30-60s sideways and RL.

Lots of easy stuff done to perfection......

I'll start out with walking and ask them to gradually increase their speed and stride length until they're running to their own limit. They then do runs that finish with a large stride until they're doing split leaps.

Two foot hops in fifth position. They can make these as small or large as they want but usually end up covering the length of the beam in 3 large hops and a small one. These can transition into baby split jumps, tuck jumps, jump turn, and sissones. I also impress upon them that every take off and every landing is the beginning and ending of a skill like a back tuck or punch front.... even though they'd jump and land differently. The idea is they are learning how to leave the beam straight and well aligned with a finish that is supported equally on both feet with even shoulders carried above their hips.

Every one footed hop I'm in the mood to have them do to challenge them to figure out how the heck to stay wobble free.

Full turns

Handstands

Forward rolls...... singles and series

Backward rolls....singles and series

I often ask them to keep "score" of their beam complex with any hand check or arm wave worth one point, a turn or bend over worth two points, and a fall worth three points. The idea is to keep them aware of the value of the basics and to learn the importance and practice of concentration.

Bar coach; I have many BB complex's. They depend on the USA-G level and I break them into sub-sets with skill complex's. Skill complex breakdowns allow me to easily change a boring BB basic day to skill interesting.

SPECIFIC EXAMPLE - Scheduled Spetember BB Complexs (L6-9's): Basic day, shape day, upgrade day, competitive day, basic day

Turn - Skill Breakdown Example: Last week I used a turn complex involving moving skills (high relieve walking (all directions), spotting skills, 1/4 turns, 1/2 snap, 1/2 lunge, 1/2 step- under/step-over turns, high relieve develope's, passé, coupe drills, arm position drills, side turn drills. finally we worked on 1/2's 1/1, 3/2's, 2's, then combo's (strong followed by weak side turns) and then WOW's (optional arm/leg positions). I try to have all turns worked in snap and lunge starts. I work straight support leg and plied support leg as seperate parts.

Bar Coach I use Bar complexes made up of skill complexes and vary them as per during the week according to my Workout Planner. My personal challenge is keeping to the time/plan and getting thru all the things I wish to. I use a timer. Timer works for me.

I hope the detail above assists. (I remind my wife all the time being anal retentive (detailed) is a quality human trait. :)) Best SBG -

Sideways walking on both sides - amazing how difficult the gymnasts find it and it really helps with the sideways movement requirement in routines!

I like sideways, but if you really want to challenge them, try sideways bunny hops (both ways)! Its entertaining and its really good for them too. Beware, the first month you do them though, they will take a little longer than expected!

Also, I like inchworms for any all levels. They are probably my one necessity for beam complex (other than handstand work). For the lower levels, it helps them get used to just being down on the beam. I usually even let them bend their knees as long as their trying the right way. Once I get the more skilled kids I make them do it with straight legs and it helps work their pike flexibility and their balance. Then, if you really want to make them work you can even do inchworm push-ups!

I like sideways, but if you really want to challenge them, try sideways bunny hops (both ways)! Its entertaining and its really good for them too. Beware, the first month you do them though, they will take a little longer than expected!

Also, I like inchworms for any all levels. They are probably my one necessity for beam complex (other than handstand work). For the lower levels, it helps them get used to just being down on the beam. I usually even let them bend their knees as long as their trying the right way. Once I get the more skilled kids I make them do it with straight legs and it helps work their pike flexibility and their balance. Then, if you really want to make them work you can even do inchworm push-ups!

What are inchworms?

Just wanted to add, on the sideways theme; kicks to the front, side and behind.

From standing sideways with good tension and posture, kick to the front, 5, 10, 15 etc times hold the last one for the proportionate amount of time - 5 kicks, hold for 5 seconds and so on. Repeat to the side and to arabesque. The idea is to bring the legs together as quickly as they kicked upwards to improve the ability to get the legs back together on split/straddle jumps.

You can also do needle kicks from standing in pike fold, but this time, facing along the beam, not sideways!

On a course at the weekend we were taught the importance of stretching before beam, and to really focus on keeping hips square, so rather than doing over splits, have the gymnasts kneel, then move their front foot forwards and lunge pressing the hip flexor forwards. Gradually slide the back leg backwards, keeping the front leg bent.

What are inchworms?

Inchworms are where you start standing, then you put your hands down on the beam. Then you walk JUST your hands out to a push-up position and then walk your feet towards your hands. This continues until you get to the end of the beam.

Here is a picture:
Fitness_How-to-warm-up_04v5_Inch-Worm_575x25011.jpg

Once kids get good you can add a push up every time they get down to that position.

Inchworms are fantastic. I have my girls walk out to a hollow front support shape, and then to full pike, toes touching hands. On beam it really engages the core to keep them stable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back