Coaches Becoming a Coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

I was wondering how can I become a coach? Do I need to have a college degree in a certain area? Are there any Vocational schools I can go to, or certificate programs out there? How would you recommend I become a coach?

Thanks!!

it would be beneficial to have a degree in a course of study as it relates to human science. then, all certification programs are offered thru USA Gymnastics. in fact, go there now and take a look at their "gymnastics university". :)

the only "vocational" schools" in existence are in some European and Asian countries where you can achieve a "master of sport". unfortunately, we do not have those in the USA. in the USA you become the mentee and work under mentors that are schooled in the sport of gymnastics. whether at the college or club level.

Would doing just that certificate program and being a mentee mean anything? I mean would I be hireable with just a certificate from that program and being mentored?

yes. but you would need to be with an established program that would take you on and bring you up in their program.

Find a qualified mentor that will allow to work along side them for a year, and then under their supervision for a year. You may have to work for dirt cheap or free for a period of time, but it's the fastest, most complete process to get a start in learning what it takes to teach skills.

Speed up the maturation process by taking college level courses related to how the human body moves and strengthens, and how the mind develops and processes things like setting goals and handling adversity. Find a way to work with children of all ages, as many of the origins of a gymnast's mind can be observed in very young children, and re-shaped in those that are older.

Lastly....never think for a moment that you know everything you need to know....in any aspect of the sport or the children that participate in it, because you only know what you know, and not what you don't know.

In the US, there's very little in the way of education specifically for coaches; it's mostly up to you to educate yourself. Here are my recommendations:

1) Purchase and read (and re-read and re-read) Championship Gymnastics by Gerald George

2) Take classes in drama/theater (and especially look for any training and practice you can get in improvisational theater). THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: what makes a great coach, far more than technical knowledge, is the ability to effectively engage and communicate with a group of kids. This is a skill that must be honed and practiced, and is in my opinion the single most important quality that makes a good coach. While you're at it, taking classes in psychology will also be extremely helpful.

The physics necessary to understand gymnastics are actually quite simple. Dr. George's book covers the most important stuff, and it's not something that you necessarily need to get a degree to understand.

Hah, Geoff. Actually I did take Drama in High School and Speech early in my coaching career (or before).

JRose, there are a few certification programs. There is the GymCert program and the one by USAG. I think they are both nice things to put on your resume but neither is necessary. I like the GymCert books enough and if I should get back to coaching I should probably do the L2 or L3 USAG Gymnastics Uni certification for the heck of it.

I'm not sure either will guarantee you a coaching position. They might get you an interview though. Most of the time, it's get an interview and then do a trial by fire coaching week or few days. Sometimes it might be 2 or 3 weeks. It all depends on the gym and circumstances.

Some gyms will have sort of their own training programs. Sometimes this is basically following a coach a few classes or few weeks before they throw you to the lions or make you an assistant 2nd coach to a class (very common in kinder classes).

Part of this depends on whether you have any gymnastics skills or not. My old boss once told a parent (in my presence) that he hired the character and person and not just the skill when those parents asked how he managed to hire me. Tricks, being a super rec gym has/had a good training program which is also one of the reasons they are very successful at what they are. @ Novato Gymnastics we had a fairly good training program but I was something of a seasoned coach by then (rec wise).

Nick Blanton has a pretty neat program out of IGC gymnastics camp in Pennsylvania targeted at new coaches to train them from the ground up. It's a pretty intense program.

International Gymnastics Camp : Summer Gymnastics Camp Training in Pennsylvania

Earlier this year, I was thinking about doing it if I couldn't find a coaching position. I think it would take 4 weeks in the summer or more. I was thinking about doing that program or just coaching at a summer camp so I wouldn't get bored as heck in CO summer.

You also might be able to get a job say at Woodward. Without any experience, you could start as a camp counselor and work from there perhaps attending their training sessions.

In Ca, there are also the regional training clinics which are gone and past by now I think.

If you are from Norcal or interested in a program there, PM as I am pretty familiar with most of the programs around here. I don't know that much of the programs in Chico and Redding or south much of Stockton/South Bay though. I know a little bit of the ones in Socal, but I didn't spend much time down there a few years ago really.

Thanks all for answering. I thought the only way was to get a degree in human science and then go apply.. I have been in gymnastics for a while now and am increasing my skill level. I am going to take another class once I can afford it. I think I will look into the cert programs and ask my coach if he will mentor me. Then add on those college courses. I am from Redding my gym does do summer clinics but I don't think they are that big of a deal.. But anything helps right!!

I've seen positions open up there but haven't been interested in moving there (because it's way hot and a bit in the sticks from myself being a Sacto guy). I have a friend who once owned a gym up there some years ago that he hold.

In all honesty, get a degree that will make you a career and $$ with something you like. Putting a lot of money into a degree just to coach would be insanity, IMO. You would have to extremely dedicated and wanting to coach.

That being said something like biomechanics or kinesio might be fine beyond just a bachelor's. Some coaches hold Education degrees which is generally good for someone in a charge of a recreational/kinder program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back