WAG Bent elbows

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinkmonkeygirl

Proud Parent
DD seems to have a difficult time locking her elbows to have straight arms. On many skills like her vault, backwalkover, ROBHS, there is always a slight elbow bend whenever her weight is on her hands. She is generally very strong, but is there a particular muscle group in her arms/shoulders that might be weak for her that is causing this? Also, not sure if its related, but her shoulder flexibility is not super, so when she does bridges with her hands close together, she seems physically unable to get her elbows straight. Any suggestions for strength or flexibility exercises to help with this little bit of her elbows giving out?

As far as shoulder flexibility goes, she can put her hands on some elevated level surface such as a beam at the gym or a table at home, stretch her arms out so they are straight and try to have her reach her head towards the ground. I don't know if that was a great explanation but here is a picture to help you get an idea of what I am talking about... Although I would not recommend a chair since they can tip over...

Also doing bridges trying to put her chest against a wall will help flexibilty. She can also do shoulder shrugs in a handstand (wall) to strengthen. These have to be done with no bending of the elbow. Just shrugging.
Her elbows should straighten out as she gains more shoulder flexibility.

She can also strengthen her triceps with dips or presses on the edge of a chair. Or pike handstand pushups for something more advanced.

this is something i would need to see video before commenting. :)

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back