Big gym versus little gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Shewhodrives

Proud Parent
Hello. I'm new to CB and I have a questions that I'm wondering if you could help me with. My daughter started gymnastics in April of 2010 and just turned six mid-Nomember. We have been pretty happy with our "big name" gym, but recently I had my daughter evaluated by a smaller gym and she was invited to join their pre-team as a L2. (Background.....big gym doesn't have open gym and we visited little gym for open gym and I asked to have her evaluated, hmmmm...wondering about the wisdom of that now.) I know that my daughter is on the "big gyms" prospect list, but no guarantee's and my daughter really wants to be on the pre-team; she can't get enough gymnastics. Big gym really is just that a well know gym and little gym is a great gym, not a well known or known as tough.

Thanks for any advice you are willing to give. :confused:

Just for what it's worth, I think you need to let her go where she is happiest at this point in time. You want to encourage her to have fun and stick with the sport. If she REALLY wants to be on the pre-team at the smaller gym, so be it. Those Big gyms truly are not a great fit for everyone. As your daughter reaches the higher compulsory levels/optionals her goals as well as yours, may change. She has time.

Does the little gym have higher level girls that do well? I had to move my dd from a gym that was great up to level 5, and after that the girls always quit.
Is there a good program that your dd enjoys at the big gym? Level 2 doesn't exist at many gyms. Sometimes it,s a way to hook the parents.

Wow! Sounds like my post from August! My dd got two team invitations for the fall (she's also 6) and we picked the "big gym". Background...she started gym at the "big gym" and it's closer to home but didn't have summer classes so we took her to summer camp and summer classes at "little gym" where she also got invited to team.

Anyways, four months later "big gym" turned out to be too much for her (harsh coaches etc....). We took her back the Level 3 team at "little gym" and she is much happier. I just wish she had expressed a preference four months ago but I don't think she really knew what she was getting into at the time.

All I can say is pick wisely and go with your gut. Our "big gym" doesn't compete until Level 5 and the "little gym" competes at Level 3. I really think my dd needs to get a taste of competition now. She'll do her first meet in February.

I'd be tempted to favour the gym that will give her the most satisfying training to her (eg: let's her train the most - given that's what she seems to care about ATM) whether it be the big gym or small one.
But here's my bias: I'm developing a bit of an impression from CB that big name gyms are so confident they've got more up and coming talent than they need that they don't nurture individual beginners as well as some smaller gyms - and your DD could get lost in the crowd for quite a while even if they do recognise her potential.
If you do move to the smaller one, I'd be careful to leave the door open for a welcome back - because your DD may well want back in sooner or later.
It's worth thinking about being open and honest with the current big gym that your DD is feeling a little under-stimulated and wants more and you'd like to help her find more staisfying options - perhaps they'll offer more, or maybe they'll just articulate a plan that you can rely on and live with that provides for more within a specific plan/frame.
Either way, if/when you move to the smaller, and if/when you return to the bigger, you'll want to have what she's moving for pretty set in stone (days, hours, competition options, etc) or else you risk serious disappointment.

I wouldn't have her change gyms just so she can be on pre-team. She has many years in front of her to do pre-team/team,etc., and there are many routes to success in competitive gymnastics. Having said that, I am somewhat partial to smaller gyms. It seems that the bigger gyms can SOMETIMES become more focused on team results and lose sight of what is best for the individual gymnasts. I am sure this is not true in all cases. My own DD is happier at a smaller, less prestigious (i.e. less intense) gym that is more focused on the individual rather than team results. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Do whatever she's happiest with. If she's L2 she is probably very young. I'm at a very small gym right now and eveyone does very well. Bigger is not always better, and if it's smaller there's probably less children with the gym so the coaches will be able to have better coaching time/indivitual time with your daughter. It's likely cheaper too; with just as good coaching!

What style do YOU feel most comfortable with?

I like our small gym because I feel like Bella gets TONS of individual attention. Her preteam class is small. The total class size is 4 and one of those girls only comes once a week. The other vacations a lot so many times, it's just Bella and another girl. That means we are getting semi-private lessons twice a week for four hours. You won't get that at a large gym.

Our coaches are VERY approachable. If I have an issue, I would feel totally comfortable approaching either her team coach or the head coach. If I had a problem with the head coach and for some reason didn't want to talk to her about it, I would feel comfortable approaching another senior coach. Since you are going to be interacting with the staff, it is important to gauge how you feel about each staff.

Our gym is a lot less expensive than the other big gym in our area. I'm getting this information second hand from other parents as I've never actually looked into switching B to the big gym. But some of the parents say it is ungodly expensive at the big gym. How does each gym affect your family finances?

But here's my bias: I'm developing a bit of an impression from CB that big name gyms are so confident they've got more up and coming talent than they need that they don't nurture individual beginners as well as some smaller gyms - and your DD could get lost in the crowd for quite a while even if they do recognise her potential.
If you do move to the smaller one, I'd be careful to leave the door open for a welcome back - because your DD may well want back in sooner or later.
It's worth thinking about being open and honest with the current big gym that your DD is feeling a little under-stimulated and wants more and you'd like to help her find more staisfying options - perhaps they'll offer more, or maybe they'll just articulate a plan that you can rely on and live with that provides for more within a specific plan/frame.
Either way, if/when you move to the smaller, and if/when you return to the bigger, you'll want to have what she's moving for pretty set in stone (days, hours, competition options, etc) or else you risk serious disappointment.

Not only can your daughter get lost in the crowd at one of the "bigger, elite-type" gyms... but if she doesn't have what they are looking for, in other words, if she doesn't quite measure up to their standards... she may be put in a training group that truly does not get the same coaching people think of when they think of these big gyms. That may be one of the reasons that these elite type gyms have the type of girls they do.... the girls who get placed in the lower training groups do eventually quit or move to the smaller type of gym. Now... keep in mind too, that not everyone here has Olympic, or even college scholarship, dreams. My DD started out at one of those "elite" gyms, but the coaching was very harsh and she didn't want to continue there. We haven't looked back. She has tried a few other gyms and different programs but it very happy where she is now. Small team, but making very nice progress.

Thank you so much to everyone, for your input. We made the move to the smaller gym, I was honest in why we were moving and the "big gym" head coach basically said to take what we were offered because although she may be on their prospect list there were no guarantees that a spot would open for her. To be honest, his directness was annoying, especially since we were happy there, but he basically said to leave, so we left. We have been at the "little gym" for over a month and she seems very happy. We made it through her first session and she would have loved to move up to another level, but she didn't, which is hard for her because at the "big gym" she always moved up. "Big gym" has a good reputation for producing elite gymnasts, "little gym" doesn't have any elite gymnasts yet. That is my concern, did I make the wrong decision in moving her, even though she is very young (just turned 6). I think that we have left the door open to go back, but who knows if they would want her or me. LOL. Thanks again for your input...I don't want to be a crazy gymnast mom!

...We made the move to the smaller gym, I was honest in why we were moving and the "big gym" head coach basically said to take what we were offered because although she may be on their prospect list there were no guarantees that a spot would open for her. To be honest, his directness was annoying, especially since we were happy there, but he basically said to leave, so we left. We have been at the "little gym" for over a month and she seems very happy. We made it through her first session and she would have loved to move up to another level, but she didn't, which is hard for her because at the "big gym" she always moved up. "Big gym" has a good reputation for producing elite gymnasts,... I think that we have left the door open to go back, but who knows if they would want her or me...

I've often read about certain gyms that they "produce" elites. I'd be really interested to know how many of them really do produce a meaningful proportion of elite gymnasts from their kindergym programs, versus how many just "attract" high level gymnasts whose form/skills were largely a result of the work of small/unknown gyms/coaches.
But anyway, as for your DD, I'm betting they'd want her if she progresses really well so they can have her represent them. And from the sound of the HC's feedback, this sounds more likely to happen while she's at a small gym. Although pity you didn't get some sort of firm understanding about level progression before she left.
I'm a bit puzzled by your swift action though. I take it the OP was kind of a rhetorical question about what happened a month ago rather than request for advice about a current dilemma?? :confused:

in a big gym, it might take longer for her to get in the developmental program due to spots available or she may have had to do a team try-out or evaluation. sometimes this can merely be due to number of available coaches/space/etc

Thank you so much to everyone, for your input. We made the move to the smaller gym, I was honest in why we were moving and the "big gym" head coach basically said to take what we were offered because although she may be on their prospect list there were no guarantees that a spot would open for her. To be honest, his directness was annoying, especially since we were happy there, but he basically said to leave, so we left. We have been at the "little gym" for over a month and she seems very happy. We made it through her first session and she would have loved to move up to another level, but she didn't, which is hard for her because at the "big gym" she always moved up. "Big gym" has a good reputation for producing elite gymnasts, "little gym" doesn't have any elite gymnasts yet. That is my concern, did I make the wrong decision in moving her, even though she is very young (just turned 6). I think that we have left the door open to go back, but who knows if they would want her or me. LOL. Thanks again for your input...I don't want to be a crazy gymnast mom!

As a 6 year old L2 I think it's a bit premature to be worried about the fact that you new gym doesn't produce elite gymnasts. She hasn't even been doing gym a year. If she's happy and getting quality coaching whether the gym has elites shouldn't even be a concern. If someday in the future you child has what it takes to be an elite gymnast then worry about it then.

Don't go by how well known a gym is...that can change over the course of time. You need to do what's in the best interest of your dd. If she wants to compete...go to the gym that can start her competing. But also look at the coaching styles at both gyms...see which one fits your dd's personality...the rest will fall into place. Good luck!!

She is only 6yo. Having FUN should be your top priority for your DD and if elite comes then it comes. I know in my state the only gym with an elite program of sorts is the old gym I came from and they are just in the begining stages of starting that program. When she gets to the Optional levels that really is the time to start thinking elite program. But I know for my DD our "Elite or Olympic Dream" would be to get a college scholarship.

Repeating levels aren't a bad thing either. Lots of gymnasts do that to build confidence or to gain skills better. I would rather my DD repeat than be moved up and not have a solid foundation to move to the next level. Think realilsticly, what does your DD want out of gymnastics? What part of the "Dream" is your dream for her?

The best thing you can do is support her and encourage her where she is at now gymnasticly. It's not uncommon to repeat a level either when going to a new gym.

My question again is she having fun? Does she like the coaches? Do you like the program? Do you like the coaching style? Is she gaining new skills?

While many of you have given me support and kind words, I've been a little apprehensive to respond to the thread because I feel like some of the responses are verging on the unkind side. After stumbling across this site, it took me awhile to post my question because I've never done this before, but I wanted to get some feedback. My daughter and I like both gyms and regardless of what some people wrote or implied in their responses, I don't have my daughter on a fast track to level 10, a college scholarship or the Olympics; I wouldn't even know the first thing about how to manage that, since she just started this sport. I think I should just stick to searching the site for answers to questions and when need be, reading what others have posted while trying to disregard the bashing of "parents" because they have (oh no, *gasp*) stated the age and level that their child is at or the unintelligent descriptive words that some choose to use to describe inanimate objects. I think the mere act of reading some of the posts over the last two days and choosing not to read them again is preventing me from becoming a "crazy gym parent." Sorry to those of you who chose to read this and it doesn't apply to you.

Please don't be offended or thrown by anyones response here. We are all just offering our point of view for you to consider based on our experiences. I don't think anyone here is trying to be unkind in any way, but just offering a point of view. If my post made you feel that way then I do appoligize to you as that wasn't my intent and please stay with us and please don't feel like you can't post in the future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back