Parents Booster Club...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

eryes

Proud Parent
After reading a ton online regarding 501(c)3 boosters, I would like change the way my booster is currently doing business a little. Currently, like so many other boosters, we have a volunteer requirement or a buyout. The forced volunteerism, besides being wrong for a 501, creates a black cloud of negative feelings towards the booster club.

I know I can be hopelessly optimistic, but I'm thinking if we do away with that, sell the 'benefit' to the families, and respectfully ask the families to volunteer for the greater good - that we could get some energy back in there. Does anyone out there run their booster more like a PTO, not requiring involvement but still able to produce a large, dialed-in group of volunteers? If so, what are some tricks you find to work for your club and gaining the support of all members?

It seems to me that the past few years it is more and more frequent that the majority of people will not volunteer. They don't think they should, they don't feel like it, they claim they don't have the time (who does?), they will not contribute their fair share of things regardless of how it is presented. I am not just talking gymnastics boosters, but school things, church things, anything really. The majority of people do not feel like they should give back in anyway and society as a whole has turned into a "me, me, me" group of people. It is very disappointing. I see it in volunteering, I see it when someone comes with their big huge umbrella and stands directly in front of me at the soccer game - so that I can't see anything - when there was room all around me for them to stand. I see it at church when everyone wants to drop their kids at the nursery but they can't even get 2 people to staff the nursery.

This is one of my pet peeves as you can probably tell. If everyone thought about other people and organizations just a little bit more things would run more smoothly, everyone would be happier, and the world would be a better place.

Sadly, I agree with the previous posters. It will be the same people volunteering over and over. Other people won't do anything. We just try to stress that hosting meets is how we keep our tuition down and that if we have to pay people to work the meets we would have to raise tuition.

Now that I'm thinking about it I guess maybe you could raise tuition and then give people credit towards tuition if they work meets...

I think the majority of people in our gym are fine with volunteering. Every now and again there is a conflict because someone is out of town, but it's usually easy to get those things covered as well. I don't think everyone loves the volunteer position they end up having but so far, I've heard very few complaints about it!

I agree with the majority of the posters, people unfortunately just aren't reliable. They have excuse after excuse and it's always the same people doing the majority of the work. Then those same people who couldn't be bothered to fundraise are annoyed when they need to shell out any money additional money. It drives me bonkers.

Why not dispense with the booster club's nonprofit status, have the gym charge parents directly for meet fees etc., and then set up an optional, for-profit booster club as a way for interested parents to earn money that could be applied to gym fees? When I was in high school, that's how the booster club for one of my activities operated. Parents and kids could work at various fund-raising events, and the proceeds from each event would be divided among the "volunteers" in proportion to the amount of time worked. Funds were held in individual accounts that could be applied towards the annual uniform and travel fees. This system was very popular and allowed each family to choose its own optimal combination of payoff + "volunteering" without creating resentment.

Why not dispense with the booster club's nonprofit status, have the gym charge parents directly for meet fees etc., and then set up an optional, for-profit booster club as a way for interested parents to earn money that could be applied to gym fees? When I was in high school, that's how the booster club for one of my activities operated. Parents and kids could work at various fund-raising events, and the proceeds from each event would be divided among the "volunteers" in proportion to the amount of time worked. Funds were held in individual accounts that could be applied towards the annual uniform and travel fees. This system was very popular and allowed each family to choose its own optimal combination of payoff + "volunteering" without creating resentment.

How does a for profit booster club work? I have no experience with this type of booster club, but presumably, someone has to be responsible for paying taxes on the earnings. Is it the responsibility of the booster club or does a portion of the income apply to the families that raised it? Also, how hard was it to raise funds since the contributions were not tax deductible for the person or business donating?

How does a for profit booster club work? I have no experience with this type of booster club, but presumably, someone has to be responsible for paying taxes on the earnings. Is it the responsibility of the booster club or does a portion of the income apply to the families that raised it? Also, how hard was it to raise funds since the contributions were not tax deductible for the person or business donating?

I don't know exactly how it worked tax-wise, since I was a kid and not involved in the business end. I do know that most of our fund-raisers did not involve cash donations, so nobody cared whether it was tax-deductible. We collected and sorted recyclables (a huge source of income since curbside pickup was not common in the area at that time), held a 5K race, wrapped gifts at a store during the holidays, etc.

Why not stay non profit and let the gym charge for the meet fees, etc while the boosters can try to raise funds to help with those cost as opposed to being required to pay for them. Those parents that want to be active in the club can get the benefit and those that don't can sign a paper that says they don't want to be part of the club. remember in a 501c you can have only the members get the benefits. So a meeting explaining what the boosters is doing and how you need active members and volunteers for this to work, etc and a sign up sheet for parents who wish to be active and considered members. No Sign up no benefits.

Our is a not-for profit, but you have to opt in. We didn't opt in for the first 3 years, and started this year. Our club works 3 bingo sessions a week (Friday/Saturday nights). MEmbers have to work 6 sessions every 6 weeks (1 weekend every 6 weeks for both parents). It really isn't bad. That is all we do for fund raisers. We do have concessions at meets, but make very little at those. We do really well with this set up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back