Parents Booster Club

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

berrisweetness

Coach
Proud Parent
Does anyone have information about 501 C (3). Is the application the same as the one used to get the tax exempt. Filing fee, How does it work in conjunction with raising money for the team activities (Xmas party, banquet etc.)

Lol, I glanced at this title and thought it was a brag alert post, haha

To your actual post though, It's been years since I helped a booster club file for 501c3. When I did, we hired an attorney (who only charged actual cost and made his hours pro bono). The attorney was nice enough to take care of everything and make sure that we had all bases covered. Would it be possible to talk to a few attorneys and see if one would be willing to work pro bono

Thank you and I will make some calls. I have a lot of questions and just want to make sure I cover everything.
There are so many rules, it's definitely best to consult a professional. It's also a good idea to consult a Compliance Officer (make a call to a D1 program and ask for Compliance Officer--most are listed on the college website) if your gym has college bound athletes. They are very helpful as well. If you have specific questions as to what ncaa will allow booster to cover.
Between the lawyer and the CO you'll be golden :)

This is actually for a private gym. We have a large team (84) and there are opportunities to earn funds for the girls but some require this in order to participate.

Not sure what you mean about private gym. I was assuming you meant club gymnastics.....is this for another sport?

Gotcha. Yes, wouldn't hurt to call a compliance officer and ask any specific questions as to what is specifically is allowed to be paid for by boosters and funds from any fundraising. Keep in mind there are rules for division of funds for 501c3....if you can get a lawyer to set up and can verify with a CO then you'll be set.

Just writing to second flippin out -- it's a good idea to consult both an attorney and a compliance officer. In addition to setting up your booster club for 501c3 status, you may also need to attend to state regulations regarding nonprofits about which an attorney can inform you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back