Parents Booster Clubs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Well at the new gym they have a booster club. I went to a booster parent meeting a few weeks ago and they let us know that the Boosters almost disapeared this year because no one was helping. I've never been at a gym with a booster club before so this is all new to me. I don't really want to step forward until I can see what is what, but I don't want them to think I don't want to help either.

So with that I guess my question is what type of things do your booster clubs do? Do they pay for gym stuff? What types of things to they bring to the gym other than fundraisers?

The purpose of a booster club is to fundraise. If you are new to the gym, I would lay low and see how it all plays out with those who have been there. I would also avoid it like the plague...if you do not need the fundraising money, then i wouldn't even get involved in it. Not to say you wouldn't help out at gym functions but the booster club usually will have some "must do" things attached to it.

You should be able to ask anyone of the booster club officers about exactly what the benefit to you is. I know when a new family comes to the gym someone from the booster club meets with them and goes over what the booster club pays for, what is expected of the family, shows them a budget and answers any questions.

Right now, our booster club pays for all meet fees/coaches fees, USAG membership fees and tries to have some booster club funded social events for the whole family during the year.

Our gym hosts 2 - 3 home meets each year, so one of the major functions our booster club provides is the backbone to run the meets. The monthly booster club dues primarily cover the meet entrance fees and coach expenses for meets (this accounts for at least 90% of booster dues). The balance is used to cover social events throughout the season (end of year picnic with trophies, holiday party, etc.). The extra amounts may cover equipment purchases, insurance and other similar items. For example, the booster club paid for the Electronic Score Board we use at our meets.

The booster club tends to be a very sensitive area with some families. I think part of the sensitivity is there's a lack of understanding how the money is used. I encourage families at our gym to get involved because it's the best way to understand what's happening and why. And to follow the money trail.

Ours sounds a lot like Gym Law Mom's BC. Ours also helps reimburse some travel expenses for our optional girls.

I evaluate each fundraising opportunity it offers - many are duplicates of our school. I won't lie - I choose to participate in them based on which one has a better benefit. I can't/won't do them all, but some are beneficial (like Poinsettia sales - I'm buying some anyway, why not buy them and get some money in my quota account?).

Ours also funds the end of the year banquets for each level, as well as a few (small) things for the teams during the year. For instance - a pizza/flip flop decorating party (for the girls to get to know the coaches a little better and to decorate shoes they will wear at meets). Nothing huge, but little things that make it fun for the kids instead of just practice all the time!

Our gym requires the parents to join the booster club. We contribute towards the competition fees, coaches fees, coaches travel fee, etc. It also pays for the banquet at the end of the meet season, and a yearbook. As a member, we are required to hold a "job" on some type of committee, and to participate in two mandatory fundraisers (one is a meet we host). Some booster club members spend everyday of the week doing some aspect related to the club, other only spend a few days a year. It is just up to the individual member how involved they want to be.

MamaofEnS

Our club's booster club is phenomenal! Our gym hosts the largest women's gym invitational in the country and therefore our meet fees and coaches fees are payed for the year as long as we work a required amount of sessions for this meet. This past invitational was such a huge sucess that our gymmies' new leo will be payed for from the profits earned. Joining the booster club isn't mandatory at our gym, but you'd really have to be foolish not to. It works out great for the gym as a whole.

Our club's booster club is phenomenal! Our gym hosts the largest women's gym invitational in the country and therefore our meet fees and coaches fees are payed for the year as long as we work a required amount of sessions for this meet. This past invitational was such a huge sucess that our gymmies' new leo will be payed for from the profits earned. Joining the booster club isn't mandatory at our gym, but you'd really have to be foolish not to. It works out great for the gym as a whole.

What invitatinal do you host? Our gym is looking around for something new.

We do not have a Booster Club or as we would call it a "Parent's Club." Our gym owner does not believe in them. However, we still fundraise quite a bit. Our fundraising only helps the girls that fundraise and these monies are applied directly to each girls account. The same Mom generally runs all of the fundraisers. It has been a great system for us!:cool:

Proudmom,

A word of warning here - If your group is registered as a nonprofit organization with the IRS, then all funds are legally required to be shared equally with all members of the group. Individual accounts are not allow. If you are not non-profit then your income can be shared however you wish, but it is now taxable income and must be declared on your individual state and federal tax returns. You might want to consult with a tax attorney or accountant.

Cher - I'd have to assume it's IGI's "Chicago Style" meet. It's held in February next year.

Another big one is Circle of Stars in Indianapolis. It's held in January next year.

I know neither of these are close to you (I see you're Region 6), but they're both huge events.

It is the IGI Chicago Style and gymnasts from around the country come to the meet. Gymnasts from other countries have also come, and on Fridays they host a special NCAA meet. It is a weekend of fun. If you go on the website you will find all the details of the 2011 meet in February.
My DD is only a level 5, but we have worked it for two years now since they moved her to team as a 4 yo. We are so excited that this year she finally gets to compete in it! :eek::)

Proudmom,

A word of warning here - If your group is registered as a nonprofit organization with the IRS, then all funds are legally required to be shared equally with all members of the group. Individual accounts are not allow. If you are not non-profit then your income can be shared however you wish, but it is now taxable income and must be declared on your individual state and federal tax returns. You might want to consult with a tax attorney or accountant.

Thanks for the information! We are not a non-profit. I believe that is one of the reasons we do not have a parents club or booster club.

If our booster club ran a meet as big and successful as the Chicago Style Meet and then it covered all our fees, then I would join...as it stands now, our booster club does a lot of little fundraisers that basically defray about $300 per gymnast , not too mention the on going catfighting in the organization so to me , it is not worth the aggravation of it all...

Cher - I'd have to assume it's IGI's "Chicago Style" meet. It's held in February next year.

Another big one is Circle of Stars in Indianapolis. It's held in January next year.

I know neither of these are close to you (I see you're Region 6), but they're both huge events.

Thanks. Actually last year our new gym did go to the Chicago Style Meet and loved it. It seems they go to at least 2 "big" meets every year (the optional girls) and it can be anywhere in the country. DD is so excited that they go on meets like that (since the one at her old gym was snowed out last year and it was the first one she was able to go to).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back