MAG Boys and girls meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

coach1234

Coach
I have also posted this in the WAG forum but I wanted some feedback from you MAG people too!

So it's that time again we are thinking of coming to the US for our kids to compete, I went to presidential classic this year and what was a very good meet for girls the boys side was low and not much of a challenge for the boys

This time I am looking all over the US not just Florida, what meets are there that are for both boys and girls at a high level of both? Which ones have you been to? What were your experiences? Somewhere that I would be able to take the kids places when we are not training/competing e.g when we were in Florida we went to universal studios

Many thanks :)

Though Allentown is hardly as fun as Orlando for families. I went so I know.

Isn't their a Vegas meet with MAG and WAG?

I agree with profmom, Whitlow is more competitive. We loved that meet.. but we are doing Presidential this year.

houston has the Houston National Invitational which seems fairly competitive for both girls and boys. We have done that one. Arnold Classic in Ohio as well. Not as much to do there, but the festival is fun.

Good luck!

Though Allentown is hardly as fun as Orlando for families. I went so I know.

Isn't their a Vegas meet with MAG and WAG?

You went to Allentown and did NOT visit the world-famous Crayola factory?? Or . . . THE GK OUTLET??? You really missed out! (JK -- have never managed to make it there myself, despite planning to be in Allentown this year for the fifth year in a row.)

I have been to the GK outlet, after an IGC drop off. That was actually great. But I have no gymmies now.

As to the crayola factory, why did I not know.

Biggest shock of all were the alcohol laws.

There is also the Greater New York Invitational, it's about 30 minutes outside of New York City (http://greaternyinvitational.com)? But it's coming up quickly (December 4-6). There might be slightly more to do in New York than Allentown ;).

(I like Allentown, it's a great meet! :cool:).

Where are you coming from?

How strong is GNY on the girls' side? I know it has become a fairly competitive meet on the boys' side recently. Nice meet.

HNI (Houston) and Blackjack (Las Vegas) are both competitive for boys.

We've been to Blackjack twice, and it has not been the most organized meet. But, this year is at a different convention center, away from the strip, so maybe it will run more smoothly. Vegas is not exactly kid-friendly, but there are some good things to do. The Cirque performances are great for gymnasts to see, but make sure you go to a family-friendly one. (A couple of them are more, um, adult-oriented). If you do go to Vegas and you have time, go out to Hoover Dam and go on the Dam Tour. It is fascinating.

We've also been to HNI. The arena is nice and it's pretty well organized. You could spend some time at the NASA Museum. I don't know what other big kid attractions are in that area.

Houston has tons of things to do. We have incredible museums, our science museum has an interactive butterfly exhibit, dinosaurs, the most incredible gems and more. There is also the art museum and children's museum for siblings. There is always something going at one of the theaters. There is a constant stream of festivals depending on when you come. Miller outdoor theater is fun and free. NASA is great but there is so much more. We also have more restaurants per person than any other city in the US so you can eat anything here but the BBQ and Tex Mex are the best!

There is the Ozine meet in Knoxville (used to be called Flip Fest, the guts that own the camp I think organize the meet). Also, in Vegas tgere is the Shervo invitational that has boys and girls. In NC tgere us the Greensboro invitational.

It does seem like most big meets are more for one gender or the other. I've heard Metroplex is good for both., but never been.

I love the Greater New York Invitational; it was a lot of fun for our boys last year and rather convenient too (It's like a 30-45 min. drive). The girls seemed to have fun last year too, although I don't know if they will be joining us.

We'll also be doing Brian Babcock for the first time; excited for that meet as well!

Yeah, unfortunately GNY is not nearly as competitive on the girls' side if you're looking for a good meet for your optionals. There were fewer L10 girls competing there last year than L10 boys.

We'll also be doing Brian Babcock for the first time; excited for that meet as well!

I think you will like it a lot. It's a big meet, but it runs like clockwork. I just hope you don't have guys at every level, because there are enough boys competing that they can have one level per session!

I think you will like it a lot. It's a big meet, but it runs like clockwork. I just hope you don't have guys at every level, because there are enough boys competing that they can have one level per session!

Nah, our men's program is just starting out, I only have 4's and 5's. I'm excited to go to a bigger meet with them this year, they definitely earned it after their performance last year at qualifiers, different invitationals, and states. I'm so proud of them and their efforts; I'm sure they'll perform admirably!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back