WAG Brestyans Boston

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Any advice on convenient accommodations? I don't really want to stay IN Boston.....I'd rather be closer to Tufts University itself. I will have a car.

Does Brestyan's have a recommended hotel? I think I'd probably look at the Best Western in Fresh Pond (Cambridge). It's about 10-15 minutes away from Tufts, next door to a plaza with a whole foods, trader joes, dunkin donuts, panera, movie theater etc. Not in the city, so an easy drive to the meet. No pool though.

It would depend on what time of day you'd be expecting to head out to Brestyans. Morning, no problem, but any time after 4:30 on a weekday be prepared to sit in traffic. I do think the fresh pond area would be a good location.

Yeah, that area looks like there is a lot to do, but there is only one real choice!
The host hotel is quite far north, and a 15 minute drive from Tufts.....
I was looking at some right in the area of tufts, but there are not that many.....

The venue is a dump with very poor lighting...and unless it's changed, be prepared to fork over an entry fee (it was 15 bucks last time we went) for every session , even if you stay in 2 back to back sessions....

I was thinking just north of tufts.... About 1 mile...
I even looked at vrbo properties in Medford.

The venue is a dump with very poor lighting...and unless it's changed, be prepared to fork over an entry fee (it was 15 bucks last time we went) for every session , even if you stay in 2 back to back sessions....

And there are no medals or trophies, just the plaque thingy where you stick your placements. And the awards ceremony took forever with small age groups, and them going all the way up on all 4 events.
Plus, this being Ali Raisman's home gym, we expected to be able to buy a signed poster or something. The only thing they had was a raffle for signed leo.
I didn't like that meet very much.

It's a cheap meet, meaning the hosts are skimpy with awards and gymnast gifts ....and I don't remember there being medals either....some oddly shaped plaque for the top 3 I think..

You have mentioned several times about having to pay for entry fees for multiple sessions as if it's a negative for that meet. I have never NOT had to do this at any meet. It's just the norm at every meet I've been to in the last 15 years. Sometimes we don't stay to watch teammates because it would cost another $45-50 to do so. It must be abnormal in your area, but not ours.

It's a cheap meet, meaning the hosts are skimpy with awards and gymnast gifts ....and I don't remember there being medals either....some oddly shaped plaque for the top 3 I think..
Cheap how? The entry fee was a bit much, I thought. I forget, is a leo included?

Cheap how? The entry fee was a bit much, I thought. I forget, is a leo included?

No leo...and in general to answer wallflower ( and I only mentioned it once , not several times) , I have paid a daily fee or weekend pass at other meets, but at this meet I paid admission fee for the morning session on a Sat and another admission fee for the afternoon session on the same day.....that seemed steep to me and not customary to meets we have been at.

There were no leos when we went but the top AA got an embroidered fleece from the meet so that was a little different.

No leo...and in general to answer wallflower ( and I only mentioned it once , not several times) , I have paid a daily fee or weekend pass at other meets, but at this meet I paid admission fee for the morning session on a Sat and another admission fee for the afternoon session on the same day.....that seemed steep to me and not customary to meets we have been at.

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, but thought you mentioned the same thing about the woga Classic as a negative about that meet. So that's why I thought you had mentioned it several times. Perhaps that wasn't you.

It's customary here. Heck we consider it a huge plus when they let the competing gymnast attend another session to see their teammates without charging. Most meets will charge. Some meets make you leave between sessions and come back in. Different colored bands for each session. I assume the meet is intending to make money so I personally am used to it and don't consider it a negative. It's just the way it is.

Those 2 meets are the only 2 that I recall paying more than once in the same day vs the daily/weekend pass and I just cite it as part of the package of each meet..... I don't care for either meet so maybe that clouds my view that I'm paying for multiple sessions.

I thought you meant that I had mentioned it more than once for the Brestyans meet... there are nicer meets out there was my basic premise.

So, there are NO medals at this meet? Only top 3 get something?
Is that per event?

Everyone gets a plaque, and then they call out every name from 1st to last place, and give a sticker with your placement, and you place it on your plaque. And this is for each event and for AA. The longest award ceremony I've ever been to. But the girls seemed happy, they all got to stand on the podium all 5 times. :)

Ok....sounds fine.....as long as they get any .99 piece of plastic made in China they will be happy.......ribbons, and paper never seem to work! LOL

Anyway, have you really LOOKED at the quality of trophies these days?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back