Parents Bridge kickovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

crazygymstermom

Proud Parent
I know up until a certain age they shouldn't be doing bridge kickovers on their own (without a block) but can't remember what it was. This a skill a dd's progression sheet (rec class) that she is currently working on. All the coaches at her gym are great and I've even heard them talking about this same topic when they thought one coach was having girls do skills like this too young (I have heard these girls are now traing down a level to more appropiate skills) so I know they are on top of these things. Its just for my own peace of mind. Thanks!

Not quite sure what your concern is. How old is your DD? 3? 6? If you know the coaches know what they are doing then all is good. It's when you are questioning the coaches decision then you are concerned.

According to many previous wise posters here on chalkbucket, I believe the age is 5. For bridges. Not sure about the kicking over part. The concern is immaturity of the spine. Below a certain age, bridging apparently causes increased likelihood of pars fractures leading to spondylolisthesis, and all that lovely stuff.

You do have to be aware of these kinds of safety concerns. It is fine to trust in your coaches, but maybe not all coaches know this stuff. I mean, these are our children, it's our job to look out for them. I see no problem with anyone asking this question, to ensure the safety of their child. We, the parents, are always our children's number one advocates.

Thank you Amusibus! She is still 4 (will be 5 mid july). That is exactally why I asked-all the coaches at her gym are wonderful and while I trust them its my job to look out for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back