Building Endurance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastralo

Any advice of how to build endurance for level 9 gymnastics??

you could try some of these:

at gym:
- after floor routines, do shuttle run or and extra line like a back layout
- you could do 2 floor routines in a row with easy tumbling
- floor routines where you run across where you would tumble, run halfway back, and run back to where you would end your tumbling
- on beam you could do what we call studder routines, where you do your first skill and dance 3 times, 2nd skill 3 times.... and so on
- on vault, you could do your normal vault set but with 3 vaults instead of 2
- on bars you could do easier routines with more skills, ex 3 kips cast horizontal, free hip 45, sole circle, 2 kips handstand, 2 giants, flyaway
- on bars you could also do sets of skills like 10 in a row kips, 10 in a row giants.. ect

at home you could:
- run for longer periods of time
- skip for a while
- do at home conditioning continuousely. ex do 10 push ups, run for 1 min, do 10 sit ups ect

i have done all of these things at the gym but they could also be done at home.

Hope this helps!

Thank You soo much for the tips! This is exactly what i was looking for :)

Artistic gymnastics is a sport with a routine lasting at most, what 90s?

Interval training is probably the best idea. Circuits of pushups, rope climbs, squat jumps, v-ups, etc. Look into tabata protocol. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off; 5-8 rounds. These suck. You can also make a circuit of 1-5 exercises using this protocol. Something like.

Pullups or rope climb
Pushups or handstand pushups or dips
V-ups/arch-ups, hollow/superman hold, situps
HS hold or pushup position hold or maybe L-sit, straddle-L
Squat jumps, sprints, one leg squats.

Long distance running makes no sense. Complete different energy system. It makes more sense to become proficient in your time domain than to train in an all-together different time domain...if you want to EXCEL at gymnastics.

Sprinting or shuttle runs or jumps or perhaps jump-roping

Perhaps even tumbl-trak tumbling down then jump-rope or dance back and repeat for 5m.

At my gym, we do some endurance in our warm-up. I don't know if that is what it was ment for...but we are all out of breath when we finish the run!!

For floor routines, the compulseries have to do two routines in a row, with full tumbling. If you don't throw all your passes, you have to go back and do that pass again until you do it , and then finish your routine. But as a level 9, two in a row will full tumbling probably isn't that safe. You could do a full tumbling routine, and then a dance through routine. That is what I do as a level 7.

For conditioning, we usually add a little cardio in as well. We jump on and off of blocks in a circuit type thing, called plio. We usually have to add a punch front or dive roll at the end. We do this for about 3 sets of 5 minutes. Be careful and make sure you keep your ankles together on things like this...I ended up in a cast from doing this!!
Also, a cool idea is to run around the floor. When your coach say's to, everyone stops running and gets in the middle of the floor. Your coach should tell you a certain number and type of conditioning, and when you finish that, start to run again. You can also do this one with tumbling.

For conditioning, we usually add a little cardio in as well. We jump on and off of blocks in a circuit type thing, called plio. We usually have to add a punch front or dive roll at the end. We do this for about 3 sets of 5 minutes.
This sounds like plyometrics similar to this:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/<object width=GymnasticBodies.com &bull; View topic - Senders - A Dynamic Leg Strength Series

Noted duration for these is 5-10m. More than enough to train necessary endurance and power. Rest is allowed by waiting in line or sitting out a turn if necessary.

Jogging around the floor for endurance is pretty lame since you switch energy systems after 23-35s that deal with power. You cannot high speed after this.

Besides jogging around the floor takes up floor space. I like doing 2 or 3 person sprints down the floor and tumbling strip instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just come to my gym on conditioning day!lol! But for real, do suicides where instead of your hands touching the lines, try your butt. You can do 30 of each conditioning skill(v-sits,push-ups...) and you can also hold hollow and long distance running.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back