Can a child compete Level 5 without Level 4?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have 2 DD's in gym, ages 6 and 9. DD9 competed Level 4 last year and is going to start the season as a Level 5. DD6 competed as a Level 3 last year. Her coach says she is close enough on her kip that by December when competition season starts she'll have it. He is planning on having her compete Level 5 this year also. I know there isn't a minimum score to move from 4 to 5, but can you skip 4 completely? I knew he was planning on her being a 5, but I just assumed she would have to compete at least one meet as a 4. I realized last night that all the girls competing Level 4 next season were learning their beam routine, but she wasn't. I probably wouldn't even question it, but the coach just moved back to the state and took over the program after being gone for 5 or 6 years. Thanks in advance!

Thank you! Because she is so young, if she had to learn level 4 routines at the last minute in addition to 5, I think it would be tough. I don't think she would do either well. I didn't know about the age thing either, but she turns 7 next month so we're good there.

I don't know if the rules have changed but dd skipped L4 and was allowed to start competing L5 when she was 6 because her 7th bd was before the state meet. OMG - that was 12 years ago! Where was time go?

Thank you! Because she is so young, if she had to learn level 4 routines at the last minute in addition to 5, I think it would be tough. I don't think she would do either well. I didn't know about the age thing either, but she turns 7 next month so we're good there.

My DD is 6 and doing level 5 but competing level 4 because she's not old enough for 5 yet. She does both sets of routines just fine. I was sure she would be confused. All summer I was stressing about her level 4 routines because she didn't practice them until 4 practices before her first meet and has done great in level 4. She has won 1st AA at every meet and had 1 score right below a 38, a mid 38 and one right below a 39.

My DD is 6 and doing level 5 but competing level 4 because she's not old enough for 5 yet. She does both sets of routines just fine. I was sure she would be confused. All summer I was stressing about her level 4 routines because she didn't practice them until 4 practices before her first meet and has done great in level 4. She has won 1st AA at every meet and had 1 score right below a 38, a mid 38 and one right below a 39.

Wow! 38's and 39's - that's amazing. I don't think we'll see scores like that any time soon - My little one is all about "doing" the skills, but she doesn't focus on the little things. Her coaches are working with her on form, straight legs and pointed toes, and she's definitely improving, but it's still a work in progress. ;)

Wow! 38's and 39's - that's amazing. I don't think we'll see scores like that any time soon - My little one is all about "doing" the skills, but she doesn't focus on the little things. Her coaches are working with her on form, straight legs and pointed toes, and she's definitely improving, but it's still a work in progress. ;)

Dealing with the same thing here. DD is usually the first in her training group to "get" a skill, but it's not usually as pretty as it should be. She gets lots of form deductions in competitions, which puts her out of the top medals every time. She knows it too, but the form doesn't come easily to her - she's very muscular, and it's actually not that easy for her to straighten her legs to the point where they look dead straight - they always look like they have a slight bend to them. She also finds it hard to be hollow, which affects her balance on the beam and her handstands. There are 2 girls in her training group who have lovely form, but lack some of the required strength now that they are learning harder stuff like kips. Each gymnast has strengths and weaknesses, though some are lucky and find both form and strength easy! I hope that when my DD gets older she will have a better feel for her body and putting it in the right position, and at that point she will just take off as a gymnast - it's her form that's holding her back right now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back