Can I still compete if i'm a beginner?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Flipsandgrips2002

One helpful parent on this forum told me that WAG in the UK is reserved for competitive gymnasts. Does this mean I can still get on a team? What options are after rec? Sorry for the daft question

- flipsandgrips2002

there are many different levels of competition. We have 14 year old girls who squat-on on vault and cartwheel on floor, and we have 7 year olds who are training Tsuks on vault and giants on bars, all can compete at different levels.

there are many different levels of competition. We have 14 year old girls who squat-on on vault and cartwheel on floor, and we have 7 year olds who are training Tsuks on vault and giants on bars, all can compete at different levels.
So if i just began gymnastics, could I join a team ( i'm over 11 )

we don't have a "team" like the states.

All of our girls are in age and ability level groups, and all have the opportunity to compete at least once or twice a year. The more able girls have more opportunities and compete more.

What skills do you have on which pieces ?

we don't have a "team" like the states.

All of our girls are in age and ability level groups, and all have the opportunity to compete at least once or twice a year. The more able girls have more opportunities and compete more.

What skills do you have on which pieces ?
I'm a self taught so i haven't done beam and bars.
I participated in a small gymnastics workshop in school so i just know how to jump over a vault lol. I can do a handstand, roundoff, almost splits, backbend,front limber, pop cartwheel, dive cartwheel, forward and backwards roll, forward roll into straddle stand, almost side aerial, almost got my front handspring, working on backbend kick over and a few leaps.

right so we would probably put you is a level 7 training group - the first 4 piece group to get your skills on beam and bars, if you got those quickly then you would move up to level 6 fairly quickly. The first "team" group would be Level 5.

right so we would probably put you is a level 7 training group - the first 4 piece group to get your skills on beam and bars, if you got those quickly then you would move up to level 6 fairly quickly. The first "team" group would be Level 5.
Okay thanks so much for the help. I've been trying to find out what level i would be on, and do you need a few skills on vault to move up a level?

you need bars and beam - you have to be at the same level on all four pieces. We would expect a handstand flatback on vault

you need bars and beam - you have to be at the same level on all four pieces. We would expect a handstand flatback on vault
Thanks for the info it helped alot!
What skills would you need on bars and beam?
Sorry for all the questions!

circle up, cast, squat on, jump to high bar, catch, dismount.

1/2 spin, 1/2 turn, forward roll, jumps ( tuck, split, w)

re your other questionon clubs, as @Faith said London is a very competitive area, you may be better with a smaller club that competes in small local competitions and is willing to give an older gymnast a chance

re your other questionon clubs, as @Faith said London is a very competitive area, you may be better with a smaller club that competes in small local competitions and is willing to give an older gymnast a chance
I'll look into it thanks

[QUOTE="Iwannabemargo, post:London is a very competitive area, you may be better with a smaller club that competes in small local competitions and is willing to give an older gymnast a chance[/QUOTE]
Do you think if I picked up skills quickly and was a fast learner, they'd give me a chance? I really want to go far in gymnastics and i'm willing to work hard.

to be honest, no. If you are not at level 5 by 7 then the high performance clubs are not interested.

However we have 2 16 year old level 5's that compete for us. I doubt that they will ever get to level 4 but they are happy, learning skills and competing in and out of county. Look for a club that is interested in letting you progress, not winning high level comps. There is room for everyone in this sport.

There's a big push for teen gymnasts and if you were moving here (north west uk), they would welcome you to teen gym with open arms! Lots of regional invitational comps for not-grade girls too.
Not sure if this also happens in London but I suspect it does.

to be honest, no. If you are not at level 5 by 7 then the high performance clubs are not interested.

However we have 2 16 year old level 5's that compete for us. I doubt that they will ever get to level 4 but they are happy, learning skills and competing in and out of county. Look for a club that is interested in letting you progress, not winning high level comps. There is room for everyone in this sport.
You're right. I could still go far and show all of those high performance clubs lol.

There's a big push for teen gymnasts and if you were moving here (north west uk), they would welcome you to teen gym with open arms! Lots of regional invitational comps for not-grade girls too.
Not sure if this also happens in London but I suspect it does.
Aww I wish I was. Where abouts in the north west? Lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back