Care package for injured teammate?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Hi. One of DDs teammates broke her arm at gym last week and will be out for 4-5 months. (It is bad, jump to high bar gone wrong) My DD wants to make her a little care package, but I am not sure what to put in it?

Ideas? She will be home from school for a week and then won't be back at gym for a long, long time. She is 8 years old. I am not sure if it is the hand she writes with or not.

Thanks so much for any ideas. So far, DD is going to make her a card and get her a balloon.

What about a picture of the girls? Perhaps a book or magazine. Maybe a gift card for a movie or game rental (my son played Wii with his opposite hand with a broken collarbone) There is this stuff called Polydough that is great. Kinda like playdo but absolutley no mess! Gum is always a hit. Hope she heals well and fast, that is alot of energy to have no outlet!

Care package

You might consider getting her team friends and coaches together for a "Get Well Soon" picture. My DD always looks at pictures of her past team mates and has fond memories. Maybe a stuffed animal of some kind too. Those NEVER go out of style but just seem to grow beyond all control for us parents!:D

I would offer to take your DD over to visit during the week, I know you homeschool so maybe you could fit that in.

A homemade card that your girls can decorate for her. Maybe the girls could make some get well, healing cookies to take with them.

Poor little thing. That high bar jump can be very dangerous.

Stuffed animal was on the possibilities! Wasn't sure. My girls are younger and you never know. :)

I was thinking the same thing Bog, about visiting, but wasn't sure about it. I will offer it up to her mom and see what she says. She had surgery, so not sure she will be up for much except talking and maybe watching a movie, but maybe if I can see what movie that is out that she hasn't seen I could bring that and they could watch it.

For today, I guess we will do the card, balloon and a stuffed animal. She might not end up coming, depending on how she feels, but just in case she does. She will know Abby has been thinking of her. I emailed the other L4 moms as well, hope they get the email in time to have their girls make her a card or something, too.

Ouch! Poor little thing. But that is so nice of you and your dd to think of her, I'm sure she will be thrilled.
Other posters have had some great ideas- I think a card with messages from everyone on the team would be great, it will let her know that everyone cares and is still thinking of her even though she's not in the gym. Books are also really good because she'll probably have lots of free time missing all those gym hours. And stuffed animals are always fun treats.
One care package I really appreciated as a young gymmie was a basket full of individually wrapped gifts and I could open one each day for about a week. It had activity books, fun pens, candy, just fun little things to keep me busy and I got to look forward to opening a new surprise each day.
Just going to visit is also a great thing. When you can't do all of the things you usually do it's nice to have a friend stop by every once in a while to keep you company and help get your mind off things.
Good luck with the package and sending good wishes to your dds teammate!

Hi. One of DDs teammates broke her arm at gym last week and will be out for 4-5 months. (It is bad, jump to high bar gone wrong) My DD wants to make her a little care package, but I am not sure what to put in it?

Ideas? She will be home from school for a week and then won't be back at gym for a long, long time. She is 8 years old. I am not sure if it is the hand she writes with or not.

Thanks so much for any ideas. So far, DD is going to make her a card and get her a balloon.

M - one of DD's teammates broke her arm Thursday night @ practice. Pretty bad too, DD was freaked out because she saw it (she said "mommy her arm looked like a worm !!) and it did, I saw it as well.

Anyway - the team made a basket for her as well, I think she is 12 though. Some of the items people brought were: Spongebob blanket, flip-flops, stuffed animals, hair stuff (scrunchies, clips etc), nail polish, word search, candy, pretty smelling hand sanitizer (since washing the casted hand is not a good thing !!)

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. We just got back from the dollar store and found a whole bunch of little things. Word searches, riddles, a fancy pen, etc, a little jewelry box thing DD HAD to get her, a stuffed smiley face pillow, a puzzle, a card and a balloon. Also emailed her mom with an offer to visit her this week and bring a movie and popcorn. :D

Abby saw her friend get hurt as well and it freaked her out a lot. I had to remind her to NEVER try the jump to the high bar with no coach there. Her friend broke both bones in her forearm and her elbow. :(

Thanks for the ideas. It helped a lot! :D

When my DD broke her foot her coach gave her a build-a-bear and wrote on the t-shirt get well soon and put a bandage on the bad foot! My Dd still loves it and sleeps with it. Very thoughtful.

I also like the idea of a little photo album with some team pictures of the girls since she won't be in the gym at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back