Coaches Certification procedure. Advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I need to get certified so I can coach during competitions. I coach an Xcel team of eleven girls, nine of which are competing this season, probably starting in November. I'd like to know from the pros what the full process is when getting certified. What will I need to be 100% ready? I know I need the U100, but what else? How much money will I probably be spending with these courses?

A second question would be what other responsibilities/jobs do I have preparing for competitions? What about during competitions? I'm nervous, but very excited at the same time. Any advice from the veterans out there?

I need to get certified so I can coach during competitions. I coach an Xcel team of eleven girls, nine of which are competing this season, probably starting in November. I'd like to know from the pros what the full process is when getting certified. What will I need to be 100% ready? I know I need the U100, but what else? How much money will I probably be spending with these courses?

A second question would be what other responsibilities/jobs do I have preparing for competitions? What about during competitions? I'm nervous, but very excited at the same time. Any advice from the veterans out there?
First of all, good luck and congratulations!! :)
Well my memory is not that great, but you need the U100 course which used to be free, you need your safety certification (which they have really made into a pain) is about $65, you will have to have a background check which varies from state to state I believe, and it's around $25, and your pro membership I think is around $85-$100. Not positive, as my secretaries handle all of that for me.
As for prep, my biggest advice to new coaches at meets is to stay calm! The kids will feed off of you and your energy, so lead by example. I say 'tcshh' a lot to keep them in a calm and submissive state! ;) Don't expect something from them at a meet that you don't regularly see at practice. Remember the chances of one of them going to the Olympics is slim to none, and Slim is out of town! ;) So always try and make it an enjoyable experience for them (and you), as they have worked very hard to get where they are and they deserve that from you. Understand that mistakes WILL happen, so be mentally, physically, and medically prepared. Know the mental state of each and every athlete, who needs to be calmed down, and who needs to be jacked up. Also, bring a pack with all types of supplies. Everything from tape, scrunchies, bandaides, Pepto, girl products, etc. I carry enough stuff in my bag I could perform open heart surgery if necessary! ;)
Good luck, congratulations, and enjoy the ride! :)

Sage advise above Aero. Gymsanity must be packing the same stuff as I do - my meet bag is full and no room for coach snacks!;) Coaches barely have time to snack, eat and drink the very important coffee as we go from session to awards to next session - repeat - over a long meet weekend.

Other resources:
(1)USA-G has some new courses (on-line courses for additional expenses of $29.00 each ) that has 3 parts. 1st part - "The U105 Double-Goal Coach®: Coaching for Winning and Life Lessons is the first of three online courses for coaches through PCA (Positive Coaching Alliance)." 2nd part , U205 has covers strategies for meets (competitions) - "This course will help coaches of all experience levels learn the key to success as a double-goal coach. Individuals will gain the tools to create dynamic strategies and practices to get the most out of their athletes both as people and competitors before, during, and after the meet." 3rd part, U305 -"this course is great for the high school coach wanting to take their athlete to the next level- from participant to true competitor. Specific tips and techniques will enable coaches to help athletes deal with high pressure meet situations as well as motivating fellow teammates to give their best effort."

Aero, I have taken 2 of the above courses and found value in the material they covered. It is highly directed at team sports(some of club and lots of HS) and as such feature a lot of ball/puck sports, but it easily transferable to our sport of gymnastics. I found them valuable and have/and will use material in training coach staff in the future.

(2) Mentor - Check in and visit with another local/state coach and work out a Mentor/Mentee relationship. This would be a perfect place to work out the meet document-requirments/strategies of meets/voicing in situations/prep/rituals/meet details. I believe this should be a high priority for a newer coach.

Best - SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back