MAG child strength gains, recovery periods?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

emorymom

Proud Parent
Is there any research on how long of a rest period a child's muscles should have before going back at it, for fastest strength gain? Or if no research, do you guys have educated guesses?

Should they be back to 100% before going back at it? Or should they go back at it still sore?

It all depends on intensity and volume and nature of the exercise.

Pretty much covered in Soviet Science.

Are we talking about per training set or training session?

Microfribillar strength is low reps 1-3. A lot will also depend in the muscle groups as some muscles are more type 1, 2a, or 2b besides genetic variation

Dude, I can't follow you. You're too far above me.

I guess we'll add ankle weights to the wall press / press against the spotter's knee move and do less with more intensity. I do not know what else to do to help him.

I can't speak to the science behind it, but I do notice that boys gain strength at different ages. A boy in my son's group went from floppy to so strong during the year he was 9 years old. I couldn't believe the difference. It was like a different kid.

And, of course, we hear about puberty as being a time when boys gain in strength. Maybe your ds needs time to come into his strength. How old is he?

9 and a half ... been expected to press well over a year, can't do it. Is very strong and no fat but also no blade of grass in the wind.

That must be frustrating for him. If he's very strong, could it be a technique thing instead of a strength thing?

Well, strong but not to controlled handle body weight in the start where the shoulders have to move out in front of the hands temporarily. Not strong enough.

Can he do a pancake on the floor and multiple headstand presses? The next step would be against the wall but with feet on a raised surface. Don't spot as much, keep going down to the progression where he can do it and do multiples in a row with the feet barely touching.

I wouldn't be overly worried about recovery for an exercise like learning to balance a single ores handstand.

Well, strong but not to controlled handle body weight in the start where the shoulders have to move out in front of the hands temporarily. Not strong enough.

My son does this too. About half the time he manages to get up to a handstand, but it's not very controlled. The other half he tips over because his shoulders are so far forward. I keep wondering if it's a flexibility issue, like maybe if he were flexible enough to get his hips lined up over his shoulders before his feet lift up then his shoulders wouldn't push forward so much.

I'm told he's plenty flexible. What we need to do is somehow load the shoulders so we can get past the point he's stuck in. The point he's stuck in is that he is not strong enough in his shoulders relative to his (gymnastically speaking) substantial physical manchild manifestation, to do more than oh, 2 good presses in a practice session and for that to happen he has to be rested from working out 48, preferably 72 hours. If it's the day after a workout he might be able to do NO good presses.

Tuck planche work, 1 arm HS work starting with slow 1 arm HS shoulder tappers.

More reps with a slightly easier progression such as off 2 layers of a panel mat.

A good pancake split allows them to get into a better position to press ( hands between feet in a straddle stand) and a good straddle L allows to keep hips compressed during the press HS.

DS's coach has said many times that a good pancake is key. And when one of DS's super strong teammates was having trouble with presses on parallettes, he suggested that the boy improve them by working the tuck planches, but also by pressing down. Can he do a nice, slow press down with good form? And is he also working them on parallettes?

Is there any research on how long of a rest period a child's muscles should have before going back at it, for fastest strength gain? Or if no research, do you guys have educated guesses?

Should they be back to 100% before going back at it? Or should they go back at it still sore?

usually 24 hours to get most of the lactic acid out of the musculature and if they are hydrating. gymnasts are sore most of the time but consideration must be taken in some of what Blairbob said. for example, you can't do floor cardio 3 days in a row. they'll end up in bed for a week cause they won't be ale to walk. :)

Lactic acid clears out of the muscle within an hour. Recovery from micro-tears is what you're talking about.

For the more technically inclined, DOMS is caused by ultrastructural disruptions of myofilaments, particularly with the z-disk and with damage to the muscle’s connective tissues. Muscle biopsies taken a day after hard exercise often show bleeding of the z-band filaments that hold muscle fibers together. The pain then is thought to be largely due to this damage to the connective tissue, which in turn increases sensitivity of the muscle’s nociceptors (pain receptors); this then causes pain with stretching and the like, basically when using the muscles.

There is also swelling in the muscles that irritates pain receptors following strenuous exercise.
but rather because your muscles are swelling as a response to the microscopic muscle tears.

DS's coach has said many times that a good pancake is key. And when one of DS's super strong teammates was having trouble with presses on parallettes, he suggested that the boy improve them by working the tuck planches, but also by pressing down. Can he do a nice, slow press down with good form? And is he also working them on parallettes?

I am told his pancake is fine. I don't know what a tuck planche is but I can look it up. If press down is the reverse of press up, no not at all. Parallettes? He's still trying to get them on floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back