Chinese New Year level 4 meet...best meet ever!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Azgymmiemom

Proud Parent
Hi all, we went to a really cool meet this weekend. All of Maliya's team improved their scores and had a really great meet.

Going into the meet, Maliya set a goal for herself to improve her scores and to back up her "better than 34AA" so she could prove to her coaches that she's ready for level 5. We knew there was a large team from a gym that purposely holds their level 4's back until they get a 38AA, so we weren't really expecting placements...just wanted those scores. I think there were about 13 in her age group. They went out 6 places.

Maliya started on the bars. Good routine...she earned a 9.075 and was awarded 3rd place!

Beam was next. She almost fell off after her leap, but she fought to stay on, and working on those nit picky details must have really helped, because she earned a 9.175 and won 1st place!!

Floor has been a struggle for her...not because of the skills, but because of those darned nit picky details. She's been paying attention to them and earned her highest floor score to date: 9.25 and that was good for 3rd place.

Her 1st vault was "wonky" she went crooked, and I think it flustered her, because she actually forgot to salute the judges before her second vault! (hey, is there a deduction for that? who am I kidding, there's a deduction for everything, lol!) She cleaned up the second and got an 8.8. No place.

so she ended up with a 36.30 AA score-4th place. She was sooo happy! We bought her a stuffed rabbit, because it's the year of the rabbit, and that's what they were selling. She looked up how to say 36 in chinese (something like, sane-she-leo) and that's what she named it.

Awards ran really late, and we had to book it to a baseball game immediately afterward. My son hit twice, scored twice and helped field his team to a 14-2 win at their first game!

So all around, a great day for my kids.To celebrate, we went to a local restaurant that served peanuts in dog bowls on the tables and you throw the shells on the ground. I honestly think this was the highlight of the day for them! :D

Here is the video link to the meet:

[video=youtube;gJUZuo9Ah8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJUZuo9Ah8w[/video]

Wow, it sounds like she had a fantastic meet! Great job! And good job to your son as well! It sounds like it was a really good day for your family. :D

Oh my gosh she did so great!

I just LOVED her on beam. When she looks up and away doing the fish pose (not sure if that is the official name but it's what my daughter calls it) and looks to the side at the pose before the dismount, too cute. My daughter was always taught to just keep looking forward in that rountine. Her coach was too cute too! I think he willed her to stay on the beam for that routine. And then when she finished and he was trying to give her ten and she kept turning to someone else. He was so attentive on floor too, watching the entire rountine. Many meets last year at the gym we left, the coaches would be so busy warming up someone else they wouldn't even watch the routine for most of the girls, much less pay as much attention as intently as he did. I just love seeing moments like that on video, they always make me smile :)

She did great though, she is so graceful. Wonderful split leaps on floor for a little one. Awesome job to her!

Oh my gosh she did so great!

I just LOVED her on beam. When she looks up and away doing the fish pose (not sure if that is the official name but it's what my daughter calls it) and looks to the side at the pose before the dismount, too cute. My daughter was always taught to just keep looking forward in that rountine. Her coach was too cute too! I think he willed her to stay on the beam for that routine. And then when she finished and he was trying to give her ten and she kept turning to someone else. He was so attentive on floor too, watching the entire rountine. Many meets last year at the gym we left, the coaches would be so busy warming up someone else they wouldn't even watch the routine for most of the girls, much less pay as much attention as intently as he did. I just love seeing moments like that on video, they always make me smile :)

She did great though, she is so graceful. Wonderful split leaps on floor for a little one. Awesome job to her!

Her coach made this really loud, almost "aahh!!" noise when she almost fell. The mom sitting next to me commented about it, and said that she wished he wouldn't do that. Maliya said she heard it, but it made her stick on the beam...I guess he does it alot during practice...he is very vocal! He's a newer coach (since late last summer) and the kids LOVE him. He's actually the boys team coach, but he also helps out with the girls team, too, and goes to all of their meets.
It's funny, during beam I'm always afraid if I cheer or yell loud for the girls I will mess them up!
Beam just looks so scary to me! I guess they are just trained to handle the distractions...or ignore them!

Congratulations to Maliya! I commented on her video on youtube. Very exciting to get her first 36!

Sounds like she had a fantastic meet! Thought it was so cute that she named her bunny after her score. :) I think she's ready to move up now.

This is awesome!!! Wow that is a great score, I love how she exceeded her expectations! Gotta love the peanut-throwing dinner to top it all off. Glad both your kids had such a great day. Your DD is going to rock L5! :) Can't wait to see how she progresses this summer!

What a wondeful meet. And to exceed her own expectations had to make it even more exciting for her. What a cute name for her bunny. She is very graceful and elegant. And you can tell both of her coaches loves those babies very much. And WTG to your DS too..both of them had a wondeful day doing what they love. And its always great to be able to just throw your shells on the floor and leave it for someone else to clean up. So cute that it was served in dog bowls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back